• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

FLYSTRIKE! Warning to all!

Wow, this is scary. I hope Adam feels better soon. I'm going to check my babies over now to make sure they aren't affected. Does is usually occur around the bottom area?

That's the most usual area. However, we had a rescue rabbit with a weepy eye and the maggots had burrowed all round the eye where there was discharge :(

Oh no, this is awful, I really hope Adam gets better as quickly as is possible. I will check my 6 buns tomorrow. I’ve treated them all and have sprayed the hutches/shed with insect stuff a few weeks ago and I change the litter trays regularly, and thought It was safe. Now I’m worried too and will keep a closer eye on them. Thank you for sharing this, sending vibes for you all xx

I feel very ignorant about fly strike, although I have heard of it before. Do flies plant their eggs anywhere, or does it have to be a open wound?

I feel very ignorant about fly strike, although I have heard of it before. Do flies plant their eggs anywhere, or does it have to be a open wound?

It tends to be on poo or soiled fur/open wound/discharge area. Although growing up I had 5 guinea pigs housed in a shed and one of the pigs got flystrike, I saw the fly on her and then saw the eggs which were quite high up from her bottom area, more like her back!! She had no soiled fur and all had been cleaned out the day before so no idea why the fly had laid it's eggs on her :(

It tends to be on poo or soiled fur/open wound/discharge area. Although growing up I had 5 guinea pigs housed in a shed and one of the pigs got flystrike, I saw the fly on her and then saw the eggs which were quite high up from her bottom area, more like her back!! She had no soiled fur and all had been cleaned out the day before so no idea why the fly had laid it's eggs on her :(

Really weird when they lay eggs on a clean living animal. And so hard to spot on white fur :(

Sometimes it can happen when an animal is unwell 'internally', for the want of a better word-ie not showing symptoms of illness, not dirty and has no open wound.

As this is on the Public Part of RU- ie non RU Members can read it I'll just post these links containing detailed information about Flystrike :

https://www.rabbitawareness.co.uk/2014/06/19/flystrike-know-how-to-keep-your-rabbit-safe/

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/flystrike/

*WARNING- THE FOLLOWING LINK DETAILS WOUND TREATMENT FOR A RABBIT WITH SEVERE FLYSTRIKE. THERE ARE VERY GRAPHIC IMAGES ON THIS PAGE. DO NOT OPEN IT IF VIEWING THEM WOULD BE TOO DISTRESSING FOR YOU*

http://www.worldwidewounds.com/2006/february/Cousquer/Veterinary-Lop-Rabbit-Fly-Strike.html

Thank you MM and Jane, Agnes was a white piggy. Strange thing is she lived the longest of the 3 siblings and passed away in her sleep years later aged 9.

I do hope Adam makes a full recovery soon, bless you x

Thank you MM and Jane, Agnes was a white piggy. Strange thing is she lived the longest of the 3 siblings and passed away in her sleep years later aged 9.

I do hope Adam makes a full recovery soon, bless you x

Yes sure does't make sense, as Agnes seemed to be a strong and healthy pig! Age 9 is spectacular :)

Adding to the vibes for Adam. I really hope there is some news of more good progress

Thank you all so much again for your kind thoughts and words. Adam is doing remarkably well! I am trying to not get my hopes up too much (as I know we have such a long, long way ahead) but today he is eating much more (he's had hay, carrot, greens), pooping more and is generally more active. It has also been a bit more difficult trying to give him his meds as he's hopping off to avoid it - which has made me delighted as he's getting more strength!

Rather than try and write it all down, I have filmed him so you can see him for yourself. I will start a thread in general chat for this and post the link (once I've learnt how to upload a video to youtube (complete novice here!).

Thanks again x

Back