• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Timothy Hay Co

loobers - your bunnies are spoilt
omi - thats a positive I'd not considered but now I feel mean & its a negative, she really does enjoy evacuating the litter tray contents

loobers - your bunnies are spoilt
omi - thats a positive I'd not considered but now I feel mean & its a negative, she really does enjoy evacuating the litter tray contents

She's also got a lot more evacuating experience than Tui, so she might manage it. Tui also hasn't given up and is still trying, so she might be enjoying the challenge.

I haven’t tried them on the stalky one yet. They really loved the leafy one so I ordered that again. After the green oat bombed so badly I’m a tad nervous about changing a winning formula!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up one bag of each of the current Timothy hays a few days ago - have opened one but I can’t tell if it’s the stalky one or the softer one :oops: my previous bag was a very soft 1st cut, Gavin said the soft one is stalkier than my previous one - this new bag is stalkier but I am not good at judging the level of stalkiness :lol: Either way, the rabbits are eating it so I’m not too worried which one we are currently on :lol:

Mine weren’t too fussed about the green oat either, when I mixed it in with Timothy they tended to leave the green oat. Foster bunny loved it though!

Mine like the stalky, but they liked the leafy one as well:) The stalky is very stalky, much more so than what I remember from last year. Also not so easy for little footsies to drag out of litter trays;)

Ugh d'ya know when I was newly married I vowed not to become a housewife, only able to discuss the price of groceries. Can't believe I've ended up discussing the stalkiness of rabbit hay [emoji38]

Hahaha love that discussing stalkiness of hay [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

I just ordered two of the soft and two of the stalky earlier, because they've only had soft for a long time and I can't remember what stalky was like [emoji38] have to see what they all think of this years stalky :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I’m really allergic to the stalky stuff, and my bun prefers the soft stuff. So will be buying that hay.

Boo can't get enough of the stalky, she has been ramming it in her face for 2 non stop hours. Joey & Mouse say its snoozy time, we'll give our verdict later. Natures own delivery due shortly so they can still get some soft hay too. The rabbit storage cupboard is looking mighty full

Boo can't get enough of the stalky, she has been ramming it in her face for 2 non stop hours. Joey & Mouse say its snoozy time, we'll give our verdict later. Natures own delivery due shortly so they can still get some soft hay too. The rabbit storage cupboard is looking mighty full

Yes, my two like it as well. It'll be interesting to see if Boo has room for the soft hay when it arrives or whether she is so full up with stalky hay that she needs a snooze :)

Yes, my two like it as well. It'll be interesting to see if Boo has room for the soft hay when it arrives or whether she is so full up with stalky hay that she needs a snooze :)

There was enough from a previous order to have soft in with the stalky & for today at least,she is all about the stalky. Even the oaty is being ignored (forgot I asked for a mixed bag) . I wonder if they'd do a three hay mixed bag or if thats a tad too cheeky :lol:

Also this website shows the differences between the cuts... https://www.rabbitholehay.com/collections/hay/products/first-cut-timothy-hay?variant=34706962438 If you click on "see product video" then the second video is a hay comparison showing all 3 cuts.

The 1st cut hay is stalky with seedheads. So I'm a bit confused as to how timothyhay have gotten soft hay from a first cut? Or am I missing something lol! Just want to get the best for my buns :)

I think you'd need to contact The Timothyhay Co to find out for sure. However, what I think they have done this year is to have just one area of hay. From this they cut a small quantity (1st cut), which was softer and greener, because it hadn't matured. They then cut some more, which was still quite soft, but stalkier than the first lot. They are still selling this. Additionally, they now have some, which is more mature and much more stalky. They are selling this too.

What this means is that reading up about the different qualitites of 1st and 2nd cut hay is not relevant here as the hay all started to grow at the same time.

I hope you've understood this. It's not easy to put into words :) Come back to me if it's not clear.

Ahhh that makes so much sense, that they have only cut a portion of their field, and really early! So it's all 1st cut hay, but some is REALLY early 1st cut hay?

Ahhh that makes so much sense, that they have only cut a portion of their field, and really early! So it's all 1st cut hay, but some is REALLY early 1st cut hay?

That's right, so the choice is the same hay , either quite stalky (cut earlier) or very stalky :) My rabbits liked both :)

That's right, so the choice is the same hay , either quite stalky (cut earlier) or very stalky :) My rabbits liked both :)

We got our stalky delivered today :D

Not opened it yet but I'm sure the buns are gonna love it as our last batch was 2nd cut hay, so they got none of the yummy seedheads which Smudge especially seems to love!

I never used to bother about what cut of hay I got, but now I'm wondering should we stock up on this stalky 1st cut before it runs out lol!

We got our stalky delivered today :D

Not opened it yet but I'm sure the buns are gonna love it as our last batch was 2nd cut hay, so they got none of the yummy seedheads which Smudge especially seems to love!

I never used to bother about what cut of hay I got, but now I'm wondering should we stock up on this stalky 1st cut before it runs out lol!

I'm guessing this is now going to be their main crop of 2018 hay. They won't be cutting any more hay at this time of the year, so hopefully there will be enough to last until the first cut of 2019 :)

I'm guessing this is now going to be their main crop of 2018 hay. They won't be cutting any more hay at this time of the year, so hopefully there will be enough to last until the first cut of 2019 :)

Our last batch we got in March was 2nd cut from last year, and you can definitely see the difference. Smudge is very happy with this new batch!!! :D

IMG_20180913_092947_01_zpsdcuhdz1l.jpg

IMG_20180913_092939_zps7hjlywx3.jpg

Edit: Omg please ignore those TUFTS lol, she is getting brushed every day lately as she is shedding like crazy!!

Last edited:
Our last batch we got in March was 2nd cut from last year, and you can definitely see the difference. Smudge is very happy with this new batch!!! :D

IMG_20180913_092947_01_zpsdcuhdz1l.jpg

IMG_20180913_092939_zps7hjlywx3.jpg

Edit: Omg please ignore those TUFTS lol, she is getting brushed every day lately as she is shedding like crazy!!

Oh sweeeeet :love::love:

Smudge is such a cutie

I've been watching closely. Bringing up the rear is oat hay (surprising as its my personal fave) followed by the softer stalky. Stalky stalk gets gold prize from all three

Smudge is such a cutie

I've been watching closely. Bringing up the rear is oat hay (surprising as its my personal fave) followed by the softer stalky. Stalky stalk gets gold prize from all three

Same here, although that's all we have atm. It just seems to almost disappear overnight :lol:

Back