• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible Panacur side effect?

Vanilla

New Kit
In April we adopted a bunny who was recently tested for e.cuniculi and it came back super positive. The vet put him on Panacur for 28 days (0,1 ml a day). I've been giving him for few days now and I noticed 30 mins after he gets his medicine he starts to breathe very heavily, is mostly laying (otherwise he's a very active lil' fella), he does have an appetite, but he completely stopped eating hay, which he usually loves. This lasts for cca 14 hrs and then he's back to his normal self, but never touches hay. He doesn't have any new food or hay, the only thing different is Panacur. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Is it possible that's a side effect of Panacur? Unfortunately the clinic is closed for the weekend, so I cannot call them.

In April we adopted a bunny who was recently tested for e.cuniculi and it came back super positive. The vet put him on Panacur for 28 days (0,1 ml a day). I've been giving him for few days now and I noticed 30 mins after he gets his medicine he starts to breathe very heavily, is mostly laying (otherwise he's a very active lil' fella), he does have an appetite, but he completely stopped eating hay, which he usually loves. This lasts for cca 14 hrs and then he's back to his normal self, but never touches hay. He doesn't have any new food or hay, the only thing different is Panacur. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Is it possible that's a side effect of Panacur? Unfortunately the clinic is closed for the weekend, so I cannot call them.

I have never encountered a Rabbit display the signs you describe as a result of Panacur treatment. The lack of hay eating may be indicative of a Dental problem and not related to the EC/Panacur.

Until you can get him to a Vet, which hopefully can be done ASAP, can you try to keep him eating enough to maintain his gut motility. His poo output may already have reduced as he is no longer eating hay, but it is important that he keeps eating something to maintain some output. Otherwise secondary gut stasis could arise.

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

Re his 'laboured breathing', there are so many possible reasons as to why this may be occurring and it is another issue that your Vet needs to address.

Good luck x

Hi Vanilla and welcome to the Forum :wave:

I'm sorry to hear about your little guy, that's worrying for you. Of course, the best thing to do is to get back to the vet that treated him, but I understand that's not possible today.

Can I ask why you got him treated for E.C. in the first place? Were there any other symptoms you were worried about or was it a precaution?

So what you've described can be symptomatic of other issues, such as dental problems and respiratory concerns, but these things would need to be checked out separately and it of course would be a coincidence that these happen at the same time as giving Panacur.

There is one thing though, I have experienced rabbits having symptoms whilst giving Panacur, and this can be explained by an allergic reaction to the parasites themselves dying off. This will often be a reduced appetite and also tiredness, though I've also experienced more severe symptoms than that. I mention this because the test came back super positive and therefore there is a greater 'infestation'.

In the meantime I suggest you encourage him to eat. Try and give him something tasty, do you have access to fresh grass or fresh herbs like coriander, dill, parsley? I note you're not in the UK so maybe try your best to encourage him to eat. The last thing you want is an episode of gastric stasis on top of this!

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/ROWinter10p7.pdf

http://veterinarycalendar.dvm360.com/diagnosing-and-treating-gastric-ileusstasis-rabbits-proceedings

Thinking of you both and let me know how things go :)

Back