Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Female rabbits behaviour is driving me to want to rehome her...

Young Bun Finn.The.Mini.Lop.Bun's Avatar

Default Female rabbits behaviour is driving me to want to rehome her...

I have been thinking of rehoming one of my bunnies, Myrtle. Her behaviour has been driving me insane and I am feeling quite stressed out with it. I have had many bunnies in my time but her destructive behaviour beats them all, especially for an indoor bunny. She has been Health checked a few times and she is healthy. She's spayed as you know. I am now loosing sleep as she wakes me early every morning with her banging and thrashing. Their pen is full of toys (far to many in fact), just to keep her occupied. But it's never enough. She is hell bent on destroying everything and it's causing me a lot of stress trying to prevent that from happening (things getting destroyed). I can just never relax, and with a full time job i am exhausted as I am always fighting her with something when I should be relaxing. When I am out of the flat her behaviour escalates. I know there is Spring Fever around but it's no help to me knowing that.

I have a new pen that I am sorting out for them, which I hope can be delivered early July. But if that doesn't help ease the stress then I will need to rehome her.

The plan with them was to have them both partly free range, however due to her extreme behaviour i just cannot trust her. She has caused enough damage to my flat just being in her pen. Its very frustrating. I just feel that she is probably more suited as an outdoor bunny. But i am just reaching the end of my limit and i suffer with anxiety enough as it is. I have a new bespoke pen arriving early July and i am planning on doing more bunny proofing in the flat...though if that doesn't work then i will absolutely need to rehome her, as i can't cope...
    Last edited by Finn.The.Mini.Lop.Bun; 02-06-2018 at 02:25 PM.

Wise Old Thumper

Sorry but I can't remember, is she on her own or with another rabbit?

Wise Old Thumper

How much space does she have access to 24/7?

Wise Old Thumper

How old is she? Tabitha calmed down a lot as she got older.

At the moment she is in a 4ft x 5ft pen (large square). Again the plan was to have them free roaming with that as a base. I can't use an attached run due to space. But i cannot allow her to free roam while she is so destructive...hence why i have thought about rehoming her. She has only just been bonded with Finn (my original rabbit) and are now living together 24.7, he had a rough start in life ending up in me spending thousands to put him right, and his sister passed away in Jan hence how i ended up with Myrtle. She is just over a year old now.

I have been told that it could be that her hormones still need to settle. She was spayed on the 16th Feb of this year. I am in the process of bunny proofing my flat but the skirting boards and carpet still remain a problem.

Again, I have kept rabbits all my life (over 20 years), and she is by far another level to what i have experienced before.

Her pen sounds too small to be shut in. Min recommended size is 10 x 6 feet ...

Quote Originally Posted by tulsi View Post
    Her pen sounds too small to be shut in. Min recommended size is 10 x 6 feet ...
    In a flat?
    The idea is not for her to be shut in but to be free range.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Finn.The.Mini.Lop.Bun View Post
    In a flat?
    The idea is not for her to be shut in but to be free range.
    But I thought she was shut in?

I'm sorry you're having problems, I know how frustrating it can be.

it sounds like (imho) her destructive behaviour is because of not enough room. don't get me wrong, my bunnies destroyed a few things. however, destruction to their hutch and home base is 10x worse when shut in. sure, they munched a few blankets and put a hole in my duvet, but that's nothing.

if this is new behaviour (since spring) it may be spring time hormones.. Luna goes crazy in the spring.

have a "home base" of a double hutch with a pen, the hutch being 4ft x 2ft, and the pen being 4ft x 2ft. even this I find not enough room for them, they have free roam to my room 12 hours once they are fully bonded, as they are still having a few arguments at the moment.

bunnies just are destructive...if you can not handle, or deal with, a bunny perhaps munching some wallpaper, a couch, some holes, then you shouldn't have them inside. I'm sorry how harsh that sounds.

also, at this point you wouldn't just be able to rehome Myrtle by herself. she would have to go with Finn. even if they have been bonded for a few days, they would likely both suffer consequences if separated.

if all else fails, pet remedy may be of use.
    Snoopy : 14.02.15 - 12.05.17 [mini rex]👑Luna : 14.02.15 [rex]👑Orion : 21.10.17 [mini rex]

Quote Originally Posted by Babsie View Post
    But I thought she was shut in?
    The plan is for her to be free range, but with her destructive behaviour at present i cannot trust her to free range. She gets out time, but i have to work the time up. I need to be able to trust her, as well as the fact that she could her herself. Bunny proofing can take time.