• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nesting and a mouse?

Jaspar0205

Young Bun
Hi all,

So long story short, Luna has been obsessively digging at her litter box and the corners of her cage and moving around her hay and sawdust to make a big pile in the middle while the corner are empty. She's only been doing this for about 3 days or so, so I was just curious to see if she's nesting and possibly be pregnant.
Luna isn't spayed but she will be probably next month as the vet wasn't able to check her teeth as Luna was too nervous. Jaspar is neutered and has been for 2 years but I was wondering if he could still have gotten her up the duff. I know it sounds stupid but I have heard stories where it has happened. There is a divider between them until she gets done and recovers from it, however there was a small incident where she managed to knock it down and they were together but there was no mounting at all. So is it possible thats she pregnant or maybe even having a phantom pregnancy? (I was told she was 3-4 months when I got her)

Second question
Yesterday around 11pm-ish, at the corner of my eye, I swear I saw a mouse run across my room. It did not go near my rabbits and they didn't seem to care? Before when this happened and I only had Jaspar, he would thump very loudly but neither of them thumped. I'm not sure if I was possibly just seeing things, but I didn't hear any scattering after that I believe it went to next door? My room is clean (well clean as it can be with 2 rabbits), I always clean up when they go back in their cages. But there is a small hole that was created by my neighbours years ago and we all know that mice basically eat anything. Now if I am right, and did see one, what would be the best way getting rid of it. I don't want to kill it and actually love mice but I don't like wild ones running about my room. And as they're so quick, I believe trying catch with a cup or something is pretty much impossible.

Any advice is appreciated.

The first question I'm not too sure - hopefully someone else will know :) Has she been running around with straw or hay in her mouth building a nest?

The second one, my opinion will be unpopular here i'm guessing - I've lived in a mouse infested flat in south London - it actually ruined my life - I put humane traps down with peanut butter, chocolate, all different things, never worked unfortunately, they're smart!

If there's one.. there's lots more - they just keep breeding and breeding, and they carry nasty stuff and run over everything :(

It's horrible, but I got really sick because of it, so in the end I had to use traps - don't use glue one they're horrible :'( the conventional traps though are quick, and it deals with it quickly :(

You'll never catch one as you've said, I like mice too, although after what happened i'm not sure i could even have one as a pet honestly.

Hope you get it sorted x

That is very true, you never have one mouse....you have mice. I'll have to see what I can do, I have spoken to my neighbours before about it. A few years ago before we had rabbits they had a infestation which meant some of them were coming into my house, there is no way you can say it nicely to someone. I asked them if they could get some traps or call the council but they refused.

And for the first question, no she hasn't, at least not what I've seen. She just tends dig and move stuff around. Not too long she knocked over her food bowl and burried it under the sawdust and the litter box is turned upside down in the middle of the cage. Maybe she just likes it messy? XD

That is very true, you never have one mouse....you have mice. I'll have to see what I can do, I have spoken to my neighbours before about it. A few years ago before we had rabbits they had a infestation which meant some of them were coming into my house, there is no way you can say it nicely to someone. I asked them if they could get some traps or call the council but they refused.

And for the first question, no she hasn't, at least not what I've seen. She just tends dig and move stuff around. Not too long she knocked over her food bowl and burried it under the sawdust and the litter box is turned upside down in the middle of the cage. Maybe she just likes it messy? XD
Yea also don't do poison, they die in the walls.. Then you get an infestation of flies... My upstairs neighbours did that, it wasn't nice.. Never live above a kebab shop in London [emoji38]

I'd get traps if I was you, you'll eventually get rid of them all, it isn't nice to witness though :(

And yes maybe she does :D my female bun has phantom pregnancies still and builds huge nests [emoji38] hopefully after yours is spayed she'll calm down a bit x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

What if I used vinegar on some cotton balls/pads and put them near the holes?
I know it wont do much but it might have some effect?

What if I used vinegar on some cotton balls/pads and put them near the holes?
I know it wont do much but it might have some effect?
You can try :) honestly I tried lots of different things but nada but the traps were really effective for me x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Back