• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Loobers pellet free review

Great! So what's your daily forage for buns?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Its mental at the moment as there is so much & they eat about 2 kilos a day & I love foraging

They rarely refuse anything but what they prefer changes through the season. At the moment they are having hawthorn, ash, rose, vetch, plantain (ribwort), grass, dandelions, willow, hazel, raspberry, sticky weed and dock

I left the county yesterday & saw lots of knapweed so need to check if its about locally as thats a great one to dry.

Bindweed too & herb robert - I expect there are loads I've forgotten . I'm too scared to do cow parsley

Lunchtime noms
14f3a904c44f18ed69754aa735fa6e45.jpg
19ee37b14aa4c86145f1c1604dcaafb5.jpg
5d62da9f7044b055d455484b2ff155a9.jpg

Hops!! Twigs got us to forage these on the day I went to her place :)

The buns loved them and I had forgotten all about them :)

Can I buy plants/seeds and is it too late :wave:[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't bother with seeds, although I suspect a lot of our Hop plants have arrived via self-seeding. You could get a container grown plant and it could go in now. Hops are also to be found growing wild in the hedges here, which I presume you were finding with Twigs.

If you do get one, be prepared for it to become quite rampant :)

Will it survive if I keep it in a pot?

Its mental at the moment as there is so much & they eat about 2 kilos a day & I love foraging

They rarely refuse anything but what they prefer changes through the season. At the moment they are having hawthorn, ash, rose, vetch, plantain (ribwort), grass, dandelions, willow, hazel, raspberry, sticky weed and dock
Wow!!! One day I will there, one day...

Nom nom

Fruit tree leaves in autumn
The leaves and branches of any fruit trees (apple, pear, plum) are enjoyed by rabbits. They especially enjoy the dry leaves that fall from the trees in the autumn. Rabbits also enjoy stripping the bark and chewing any branches or twigs they are offered.

It was thought (and still is) that leaves from trees bearing fruit with stones is toxic. Frances put that one to bed :thumb:

I don't know why? Anyone have an idea?

It was thought (and still is) that leaves from trees bearing fruit with stones is toxic. Frances put that one to bed :thumb:

I don't know why? Anyone have an idea?

Is it like people say you shouldn't feed apple pips because of cyanide but in reality they'd have to eat a few trees worth of apples to get enough cyanide to cause any toxicity. Maybe its similar with fruit stones but I've never known my bunnies to eat the stones of any fruit but they do clean them right up. Just musings

Is it like people say you shouldn't feed apple pips because of cyanide but in reality they'd have to eat a few trees worth of apples to get enough cyanide to cause any toxicity. Maybe its similar with fruit stones but I've never known my bunnies to eat the stones of any fruit but they do clean them right up. Just musings

So .. I have some apricots. Would you feed those to the buns? I have given mango in the past :)

MM - I wouldn't but only cos they have so many wonderful greens at their disposal so they don't get sweet treats at this time of year (apart from a good morning dried cranberry). I don't think it would be risky. I've fed nectarines, plums & cherries before . The sugar worries me rather than the fruit (stone)

MM - I wouldn't but only cos they have so many wonderful greens at their disposal so they don't get sweet treats at this time of year (apart from a good morning dried cranberry). I don't think it would be risky. I've fed nectarines, plums & cherries before . The sugar worries me rather than the fruit (stone)

Glad you said this. :)

I don't feed fruit to the buns (except occasionally half a cranberry, but that's because a kind soul sent them some :love:) but I was just wondering what others thought :)

Glad you said this. :)

I don't feed fruit to the buns (except occasionally half a cranberry, but that's because a kind soul sent them some :love:) but I was just wondering what others thought :)
I have given Toby dried papaya for papain. Hes never had anything else sweet. I worry about the sugar so he's never tried any

Rabbits get absolutely no fruit here, because of the sugar content.

meanie :lol:

Loobers I have some boring bits of wood F-in-law brought up - its corkscrew willow (I was kinda expecting a fully formed tree). I chopped a piece to fit a large pot not expecting it to do anything but I just checked in on it & its doing something

CX8Aywvm.jpg

Apparently its fast growing but short living (few years). Doesn't care about soil type but likes lots of water. Defo needs containing as has damaging root systems. Joey is wondering if Toby would like me to send him a piece so you can grow willow for him in addition to all your other lovely home grown goodies. Willow dries fast & store well

Rabbits get absolutely no fruit here, because of the sugar content.

I shouldn't think a wildie would turn his nose up at a juicy little windfall though :lol:

What I actually meant was - do you view fruit with stones in as toxic and the answer seems to be no (from those that have ever fed fruit, that is :D)

meanie :lol:

Loobers I have some boring bits of wood F-in-law brought up - its corkscrew willow (I was kinda expecting a fully formed tree). I chopped a piece to fit a large pot not expecting it to do anything but I just checked in on it & its doing something

CX8Aywvm.jpg
[/IMG]

Apparently its fast growing but short living (few years). Doesn't care about soil type but likes lots of water. Defo needs containing as has damaging root systems. Joey is wondering if Toby would like me to send him a piece so you can grow willow for him in addition to all your other lovely home grown goodies. Willow dries fast & store well
Oh wow joey you are so kind! Dennis loves willow stuff it's his fave :D

I have just sown my plantain seeds. There are so much in a packet I haven't hardly used them! OH is making toby a raised flower bed planter for more noms.

Back