• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eggs laid on Suzi's back!

Heather E

New Kit
Hi - Suzi is female, not particularly robust, & of unknown age, but I have had her for 5 years. She came from an 'amateur' rescue, & I believe is not neutered (although I was lead to believe she was).

She is a part Lionhead. She, & my neutered male English Spot live out in a large grass area all day, & are hutched separately late each evening.

On Sunday, when I lifted her to go in for the night, I noticed lumps on her back. On further inspection on Monday (bank holiday) the multiple lumps were obviously fly eggs, & I tried to combe them off with a flea comb, with limited success. She didn't appear wet, soiled or smelly, & had no damaged skin.

My partner took her to the vet first thing Tuesday for her regular tooth clipping, but urgently regards the fly eggs. I am aware of 'fly strike' around the anus, but she was clean there. I also did some googling (while at work), but could find nothing about random fly eggs like these on her back.

Astonishingly the vet gave her back to my partner saying they had treated the eggs & done some grooming, but that Suzi needed more grooming to remove the sawdust from her coat! I subsequently spoke to the vet myself by phone, & he repeated this. I firmly assured him that there was absolutely no sawdust in her coat, & that it was thousands & thousands of fly eggs in lumps, which I spent a considerable time removing that evening. He had dabbed Rearguard on the eggs (but presumably not the 'sawdust'!), & many of those I subsequently removed, & put in a sandwich bag, hatched! While removing all these eggs we were buzzed by green bottle flies.

I have dusted her back thoroughly with diatomaceous earth, in the hope that this will prevent anything further, & kill any maggots that emerged from eggs that I may have missed.

Has anyone any idea why flies might target a rabbit like this? I would not have been surprised had she died overnight - thinking that maybe flies sensed a 'smell of death' about her...?? However, she was her perky self next day.

Thanks for any input.

Heather

Hi - Suzi is female, not particularly robust, & of unknown age, but I have had her for 5 years. She came from an 'amateur' rescue, & I believe is not neutered (although I was lead to believe she was).

She is a part Lionhead. She, & my neutered male English Spot live out in a large grass area all day, & are hutched separately late each evening.

On Sunday, when I lifted her to go in for the night, I noticed lumps on her back. On further inspection on Monday (bank holiday) the multiple lumps were obviously fly eggs, & I tried to combe them off with a flea comb, with limited success. She didn't appear wet, soiled or smelly, & had no damaged skin.

My partner took her to the vet first thing Tuesday for her regular tooth clipping, but urgently regards the fly eggs. I am aware of 'fly strike' around the anus, but she was clean there. I also did some googling (while at work), but could find nothing about random fly eggs like these on her back.

Astonishingly the vet gave her back to my partner saying they had treated the eggs & done some grooming, but that Suzi needed more grooming to remove the sawdust from her coat! I subsequently spoke to the vet myself by phone, & he repeated this. I firmly assured him that there was absolutely no sawdust in her coat, & that it was thousands & thousands of fly eggs in lumps, which I spent a considerable time removing that evening. He had dabbed Rearguard on the eggs (but presumably not the 'sawdust'!), & many of those I subsequently removed, & put in a sandwich bag, hatched! While removing all these eggs we were buzzed by green bottle flies.

I have dusted her back thoroughly with diatomaceous earth, in the hope that this will prevent anything further, & kill any maggots that emerged from eggs that I may have missed.

Has anyone any idea why flies might target a rabbit like this? I would not have been surprised had she died overnight - thinking that maybe flies sensed a 'smell of death' about her...?? However, she was her perky self next day.

Thanks for any input.

Heather

Hi Heather, and welcome to the Forum :wave:

I'm really sorry to hear about Suzi. It's rather bizarre that a seemingly healthy (and not old) rabbit would be covered with fly eggs.

I won't post any links concerning fly strike as it's clear you've done your own thorough research.

Thinking ongoing about treatment, I know that Graciee here is using F10 as a preventative. You could ask your vet about the use of it (especially since he's already applied rearguard) but be aware that not every rabbit gets on with it well:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...lystrike-and-F10-wound-spray-with-insecticide

I am rather concerned about your vet thinking the fly eggs were sawdust though. I would seriously think about a second opinion not only concerning that but also to give your rabbit a full health check (and may be even a blood profile, though I know it's expensive). Your comment 'smell of death' makes sense to me, and I wouldn't rest until I have found out why this has happened.

If you want to start another thread here, on the Forum, in Rabbit Chat, you could put this in the title:

Rabbit Savvy Vet needed in (your location) ... and members will give you their recommendations

Alternatively you can search here for a recommended vet:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/vetfinder/vets-owners-recommendations

And the RWAF have their own suggestions for finding a good vet:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk

Hi Heather, and welcome to the Forum :wave:

I'm really sorry to hear about Suzi. It's rather bizarre that a seemingly healthy (and not old) rabbit would be covered with fly eggs.

I won't post any links concerning fly strike as it's clear you've done your own thorough research.

Thinking ongoing about treatment, I know that Graciee here is using F10 as a preventative. You could ask your vet about the use of it (especially since he's already applied rearguard) but be aware that not every rabbit gets on with it well:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...lystrike-and-F10-wound-spray-with-insecticide

I am rather concerned about your vet thinking the fly eggs were sawdust though. I would seriously think about a second opinion not only concerning that but also to give your rabbit a full health check (and may be even a blood profile, though I know it's expensive). Your comment 'smell of death' makes sense to me, and I wouldn't rest until I have found out why this has happened.

If you want to start another thread here, on the Forum, in Rabbit Chat, you could put this in the title:

Rabbit Savvy Vet needed in (your location) ... and members will give you their recommendations

Alternatively you can search here for a recommended vet:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/vetfinder/vets-owners-recommendations

And the RWAF have their own suggestions for finding a good vet:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk
MM has given great advice as always :)

I'd definitely find a rabbit savvy vet!

F10 with insecticide you can spray anywhere on the body I think? And it's supposed to kill eggs and stop things hatching? I think - give it a Google :)

I use it on my buns bum instead of rearguard atm, but I know F10 can be used on wounds and other places on the body to prevent fly strike in other areas.

Hope your bun will be okay xx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Sorry I have nothing of use to add, but hope you get things sorted for your bunny and manage to find a better vet
Laura x

I cannot offer any advice, just an observation that your Suzy is lucky to have owners who are so diligent and can identify fly eggs. Many owners may have believed the vet.

Gosh how strange. I guess it could just be bad luck about the fly eggs? But I think it can occur even with clean, healthy buns which is why rabbit owners in the know are so vigilant about flies and some choose to use rearguard and other such products (personally I'm not comfortable using those products, unless maybe in extreme circumstances like this). Though generally it's an issue with rabbits that get mucky butts etc, as you know.

It's worrying the vet gave her back with fly eggs still on her thinking it was sawdust! She could've died if you hadn't been so observant even after the vet check - as others have said a lot of rabbit owners don't do their research and aren't so rabbit savvy, so would've just thought the vet had taken care of it.

Vets should have a good eye for spotting fly eggs considering what a problem they can be. Anyway, you'd think sawdust would brush out rather easily and they said they'd done some grooming! I agree I'd want a new vet/second opinion as I'm not sure I'd trust their judgement..

Hi heather

How's your rabbit doing?

Thanks for all the supportive advice - Suzi is still bouncing about as a happy rabbit should. However, most days since my first post it has been hot & sunny & she has been egg'd! Each evening, when I catch her to put in her hutch (very late evening) I have picked / groomed them off & applied, both night & morning, copious amounts of DE (Diatomaceous Earth) to stop anything that hatches from progressing. For a shy rabbit that doesn't like being handled, she's put up with this ok, & after 2 weeks seems to actually accept & appreciate the grooming....so trauma is getting less. The last 2 nights have been clear of eggs (cooler weather) which is great.

However, after so many new eggs earlier this week I have ordered a deterrent - I plumped for Beaphar Fly Guard, rather than RearGuard, after reading around the subject on the internet, but will only apply if the flies return (which I suspect they will). I am also planning to make a fly trap with cat food, to see if this might prove more attractive to the green bottles!

I took on board the suggestion of a blood test, & have also contacted a different vet. However, this is a very thin rabbit, & I suspect she may have a cancer (unneutered female) & I have weighed the trauma of a special visit to a vet (further away) against her present life quality, & will wait until her next tooth trim (she has them every 4-5 weeks). She couldn't be bonnier in herself right now.

Heather

The flies often know when there is a sick or compromised rabbit around, clever things, so maybe, if she is ill in some way, it is going to be an ongoing problem.

Thanks for all the supportive advice - Suzi is still bouncing about as a happy rabbit should. However, most days since my first post it has been hot & sunny & she has been egg'd! Each evening, when I catch her to put in her hutch (very late evening) I have picked / groomed them off & applied, both night & morning, copious amounts of DE (Diatomaceous Earth) to stop anything that hatches from progressing. For a shy rabbit that doesn't like being handled, she's put up with this ok, & after 2 weeks seems to actually accept & appreciate the grooming....so trauma is getting less. The last 2 nights have been clear of eggs (cooler weather) which is great.

However, after so many new eggs earlier this week I have ordered a deterrent - I plumped for Beaphar Fly Guard, rather than RearGuard, after reading around the subject on the internet, but will only apply if the flies return (which I suspect they will). I am also planning to make a fly trap with cat food, to see if this might prove more attractive to the green bottles!

I took on board the suggestion of a blood test, & have also contacted a different vet. However, this is a very thin rabbit, & I suspect she may have a cancer (unneutered female) & I have weighed the trauma of a special visit to a vet (further away) against her present life quality, & will wait until her next tooth trim (she has them every 4-5 weeks). She couldn't be bonnier in herself right now.

Heather

Hi Heather :wave:

I've been thinking of you and Suzi, so I'm really glad you've come back to update.

Yes I wondered about what you said, and thought there may be some underlying condition. I am glad that she's still a very happy bunny.

Some people have used F10 spray for a fly deterrent. It's not something I would use or recommend, but others have found it helpful.

Regards the boniness, have you tried to give her a bit extra to help her along? I give a pinch of dry porridge oats morning and evening to compromised and underweight rabbits, and also a few sunflower seeds (just the kernels).

You could also perhaps try echinacea to build her immune system ..

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-echinacea-angustifolia-herbal-fluid-extract

Please keep in touch :)

I would also put fly traps around your yard to reduce and deter the local fly population.
Mine are homemade, a glas jar with a black plastic flower pot upside down on top (those disposable ones plants are sold in, with holes in the bottom), and a black plastic cover 2cm above the holes of the flower pot, somewhat larger in diameter than pot and jar (hot glue is perfect for assembling). Then I put a little meat, cat- or dog food (doesn't need much, about a fingers size or so), water and some drops of dish soap in it, about half full. It takes a few days to start working.

This works because the flies (exactly the types that cause problems) are atracted by the decomposing meat, and they always try to fly toward light - so when the entry holes are shielded from light they do not find out of the trap. Use large jars, emtying them is an ugly business.

One warning: Those traps really do stink. But that's why they work.

Last edited:
Hi Heather :wave:

Regards the boniness, have you tried to give her a bit extra to help her along? I give a pinch of dry porridge oats morning and evening to compromised and underweight rabbits, and also a few sunflower seeds (just the kernels).

You could also perhaps try echinacea to build her immune system ..

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-echinacea-angustifolia-herbal-fluid-extract

Please keep in touch :)

I will try those - all three of which I have at breakfast myself!

Thank you.

Heather

Hi folks - an update...

THANK you for all the support.

Suzi has put on weight & is doing well - however she did reject my breakfast oats & sunflower seeds! I give her loads of chopped carrot & other veggies over night, along with way too many Excel Rabbits pellets. Anything to plump her up, I'm afraid.

The fly trap was amazing, & I believe made a huge difference to the fly egg problem.

I have been dusting her morning & evening with DE powder, & she has only been egged a couple of times since my last posting. Worst for ages was twice last week, when I think I may have been lax with the powder (because the weather had become cooler!). She's a puff-ball again now!

Feisty little rabbit she is - which I so admire.

Heather

I recommend using F10 Wound Spray with Insecticide. It can be used anywhere on the body, including open wounds, and fairly regularly. Rearguard is only licensed for use on the bum area and is a (expensive) monthly application. F10 is much cheaper, can be used more regularly (daily if needed) and WILL stop fly eggs developing, should you get any. It is readily available eg from Amazon. It is toxic to cats - so be careful if they may come into contact with it.

The data sheets:
http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-452554

F10 Wound Spray with insecticide:
http://www.meadowsah.com/home/f10-treatment-products.html

As your rabbit has known dental issues, I suspect these may be contributing towards her vulnerability to flies. If she can't groom properly, she won't be able to manage her coat or remove anything attracting the flies, or their eggs. I'm glad she is doing OK. Flystrike is an awful thing to deal with.

Hi folks - an update...

THANK you for all the support.

Suzi has put on weight & is doing well - however she did reject my breakfast oats & sunflower seeds! I give her loads of chopped carrot & other veggies over night, along with way too many Excel Rabbits pellets. Anything to plump her up, I'm afraid.

The fly trap was amazing, & I believe made a huge difference to the fly egg problem.

I have been dusting her morning & evening with DE powder, & she has only been egged a couple of times since my last posting. Worst for ages was twice last week, when I think I may have been lax with the powder (because the weather had become cooler!). She's a puff-ball again now!

Feisty little rabbit she is - which I so admire.

Heather

Hi Heather!

You are so welcome - it's great to hear that she is putting on weight.

You are obviously doing a great job keeping those pesky flies off her.
Well done and continued vibes for you and Suzi x

Back