Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: When do I neuter?

  1. #1
    New Kit Hermie+Indie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    21

    Default When do I neuter?

    Hello! I've recently adopted a bunny, he's an absolute sweetie and I love him already! But he is approximately 18 weeks old, and I was just wondering at what age is it ideal to consider neutering him? I will wait at least a month or two to get him settled first but I'm just thinking ahead at this point.

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    135,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hermie+Indie View Post
    Hello! I've recently adopted a bunny, he's an absolute sweetie and I love him already! But he is approximately 18 weeks old, and I was just wondering at what age is it ideal to consider neutering him? I will wait at least a month or two to get him settled first but I'm just thinking ahead at this point.
    Hello

    Bucks can be neutered as soon as their testicles have descended. This is usually between 14-16 weeks of age. Some additional information here :

    https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/neutering/

    http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00M...tionRabbit.htm

    Has your Buck been vaccinated yet ? Rabbits require 2 vaccinations to protect them from Myxomatosis, RHD1 and RHD2.

    https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/vaccinations/

    The two vaccines need to be given at least 2 weeks apart

    http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-455496

    https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/art...sheet.doc/view

    Good luck with the new addition



    Myxomatosis , RHD1 & RHD2 - Vaccinations are ESSENTIAL to protect your Rabbit(s)
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...rum-Moderator)

    Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund (RWAF)~ Britains Biggest and Best Organisation for Everyone who Loves Rabbits
    https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

    Reference links for various Rabbit Health problems :
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...99#post7048099

  3. #3
    Warren Veteran DemiS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    7,288

    Default

    As soon as his fuzzy little balls appear you can book him for neutering He might retract them sometimes but that's fine he can still be neutered, I booked a vet appt as soon as my boys' balls dropped then on the day I couldn't see them But the vet said it was fine, it happens. If his bits haven't dropped yet they should do pretty soon, personally I think it's better to get it done sooner rather than later, before his hormones start running wild. It won't take him months to get settled
    Elmo and Cookie the Thrianta brothers ♥
    Princess the Lionlop

  4. #4
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    40,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DemiS View Post
    As soon as his fuzzy little balls appear you can book him for neutering He might retract them sometimes but that's fine he can still be neutered, I booked a vet appt as soon as my boys' balls dropped then on the day I couldn't see them But the vet said it was fine, it happens. If his bits haven't dropped yet they should do pretty soon, personally I think it's better to get it done sooner rather than later, before his hormones start running wild. It won't take him months to get settled

    Demi is exactly right

    They can be neutered between 10 - 12 weeks, or as soon as the testicles have descended and they are a good weight (as judged by your vet)

    Some reliable info here:

    https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/neutering/
    Up to date and comprehensive info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...16-Sept/page14
    An extensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!

  5. #5
    New Kit Hermie+Indie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Thank you all for the advice! I will definitely be looking into getting the procedure done soon as I check down there.

  6. #6
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    40,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hermie+Indie View Post
    Thank you all for the advice! I will definitely be looking into getting the procedure done soon as I check down there.

    Good luck
    Up to date and comprehensive info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...16-Sept/page14
    An extensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!

  7. #7
    Young Bun Jo93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    42

    Default

    I'm also in a similar position! I brought home Twix in March and have been wondering when would be a good time to get him neutered... he's coming up to 20 weeks old

    My other question would be - once he's been neutered does he need close attention at all? I'm going on holiday the first week of July (and then again the last week of July) and although we have a friend looking after him, I would want to be there for him if he needs a lot of attention....so do I wait until August to get it done?

    Last question (and it sounds like a silly one!) but how do I see where his balls are?! I think getting him to even be still long enough for me to look will be a challenge! But how do I know if they are definitely dropped?!

  8. #8
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    40,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jo93 View Post
    I'm also in a similar position! I brought home Twix in March and have been wondering when would be a good time to get him neutered... he's coming up to 20 weeks old

    My other question would be - once he's been neutered does he need close attention at all? I'm going on holiday the first week of July (and then again the last week of July) and although we have a friend looking after him, I would want to be there for him if he needs a lot of attention....so do I wait until August to get it done?

    Last question (and it sounds like a silly one!) but how do I see where his balls are?! I think getting him to even be still long enough for me to look will be a challenge! But how do I know if they are definitely dropped?!

    Hi Jo

    If this were my bunny then I would want to keep an eye on him for at least a week and possibly a couple. It's more than likely nothing will go amiss in the neutering, but if it does then I would want to be the one to deal with it. Just a precaution

    Can you get him neutered now?

    If you look here (some graphic images - sorry!) and scroll down to picture 1 (intact male prior to castration surgery) then you'll see what you're looking for

    http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen...es/Endo_en.htm


    And also here:

    http://florida4h.org/projects/rabbit...ntA_Males.html
    Up to date and comprehensive info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...16-Sept/page14
    An extensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!

  9. #9
    Young Bun Jo93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Thank you MightyMax, those were some graphic! but informative pictures!!, I'm going to try and get him to stay still for a bit and have a little look in the morning

    I think he probably is ready to be neutered but I might wait until after holidays anyway, so I can really keep an eye on him

  10. #10
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    40,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jo93 View Post
    Thank you MightyMax, those were some graphic! but informative pictures!!, I'm going to try and get him to stay still for a bit and have a little look in the morning

    I think he probably is ready to be neutered but I might wait until after holidays anyway, so I can really keep an eye on him

    Have you a good rabbit savvy vet Jo?
    Up to date and comprehensive info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...16-Sept/page14
    An extensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •