Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guinea pig bonding UD Success :)

They are side by side at the moment, before the end of yesterdays meet Marcie was teeth chattering less and ignoring or avoiding Ellie, sadly it looked like Ellie just ignored this but I hope it means Marcie has accepted Ellie as being dominat?

If you need help with anything PM me or any of the other forum buddies (name shown in green)

How long have they been next to each other? I think it is going to take these two a long time to accept each other, if they are going to. Every time you have to stop the meeting you risk going back to square one, although I know you've got to be very sure they are OK before leaving them to it!

I don't personally think female pigs are easy bonds. Easier than rabbits, yes, but I do think the personalities have to be right: either two easy going pigs, or one dominant and one submissive obviously works well. You've obviously got two fairly feisty pigs there (one especially), but they will also be reacting to the stress of the new bond.
    Sarah.

RIP Dusty and Clover bunnies xxx
    Misty and Pearl guinea pigs
    Basil hamster

They've been next to eachother for 24 hours before actually meeting, then we started the bond in neutral pen and separated about 6pm last night. Been back in their own cages next to eachother since with bedding and toys swapping round as I've been at work since 10am this morning and finished an hour ago so they've been unable to go into the bonding pen today. I don't want to keep separating them as don't want to set them back, I finish work weds afternoon and am off Thursdays so potentially they could have an overnight stay together then fully supervised. I noticed a lot of yawning coming from both pigs yesterday, I think I read that was a bad sign?

If you need help with anything PM me or any of the other forum buddies (name shown in green)

Quote Originally Posted by Liz47 View Post
    They've been next to eachother for 24 hours before actually meeting, then we started the bond in neutral pen and separated about 6pm last night. Been back in their own cages next to eachother since with bedding and toys swapping round as I've been at work since 10am this morning and finished an hour ago so they've been unable to go into the bonding pen today. I don't want to keep separating them as don't want to set them back, I finish work weds afternoon and am off Thursdays so potentially they could have an overnight stay together then fully supervised. I noticed a lot of yawning coming from both pigs yesterday, I think I read that was a bad sign?

Gracious Liz you've done a 12 hour shift?

Regards the piggies and yawning ... I came across this years ago when I was bonding piggies. I had to refresh my memory and came up with this:

Guinea pigs will yawn for one of two reasons. Firstly, a yawn will come on as your furry little friend is getting ready for a kip or is feeling relaxed. They may also yawn as a way of showing their teeth at another cavy. Donít be alarmed by this behaviour though, as it is their way of showing dominance in a non-aggressive way.

How's your foot held up today?

I've heard that about yawning too, but never witnessed it. I've got everything crossed this works out.
    Sarah.

Basil hamster

Apologies for the late update on this thread. We took the bonding very slowly, we had them in a large pen in our room for 4 nights before adding bits like the food bowl and toys. The first night we had some chasing and teeth chattering etc but nothing like before and always Ellie would back down. So now it appears Marcie is the dominant pig and Ellie has accepted this! They're cage is still very bare, we daren't add the igloo or anything like that in atm but they have tunnels and plenty of hay to hide in. Both popcorn regularly, which we never used to see Ellie do actually, and they sleep next to one another. I'm very surprised but happy

34268726_1671760832920899_8435685510193610752_n by Hliz, on Flickr

34189477_1671760769587572_5349071816558116864_n by Hliz, on Flickr

Wise Old Thumper

Glad they are now getting along

Quote Originally Posted by Liz47 View Post
    Apologies for the late update on this thread. We took the bonding very slowly, we had them in a large pen in our room for 4 nights before adding bits like the food bowl and toys. The first night we had some chasing and teeth chattering etc but nothing like before and always Ellie would back down. So now it appears Marcie is the dominant pig and Ellie has accepted this! They're cage is still very bare, we daren't add the igloo or anything like that in atm but they have tunnels and plenty of hay to hide in. Both popcorn regularly, which we never used to see Ellie do actually, and they sleep next to one another. I'm very surprised but happy

34268726_1671760832920899_8435685510193610752_n by Hliz, on Flickr

34189477_1671760769587572_5349071816558116864_n by Hliz, on Flickr

How lovely

Aww well done! I love the photos.
    Sarah.

Basil hamster

Wise Old Thumper

Brilliant news
    " We will remain friends until the end of days, and one day longer"......Donald Tusk