Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guinea pig bonding UD Success :)

Default Guinea pig bonding UD Success :)

We adopted Marcie after Ellie lost her partner Arnie, she has settled in well so started bonding this afternoon. My one and only experience of bonding piggies went very well, Ellie and Arnie just sniffed each other than sat and ate their veg and went to sleep! Growing up we had two separate female piggy cages but used to let them mix randomly on the floor during clean outs (before we knew any better!) and they got on well. Sadly it looks like Ellie appears to be a bit of a bully and will take longer to welcome Marcie. Both have been teeth chattering, puffing up, going sidewides towards eachother and fighting were they lock and roll. So we tried to end todays meet on a good note while they were sat munching and back to their own cages to settle and will swap bedding and do daily meets for now. Marcie is a lovely pig, I hope they will both come round soon!

IMG_20180527_153323872 by Hliz, on Flickr

IMG_20180527_145518152 by Hliz, on Flickr

IMG_20180526_192256669 by Hliz, on Flickr
    Last edited by Liz47; 17-06-2018 at 06:04 PM.

If you need help with anything PM me or any of the other forum buddies (name shown in green)

Wise Old Thumper

Lovely piggies I hope that they settle and start to like each other soon. Glad that you seem to have sorted the transport for Marcie.
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

Quote Originally Posted by Liz47 View Post
    We adopted Marcie after Ellie lost her partner Arnie, she has settled in well so started bonding this afternoon. My one and only experience of bonding piggies went very well, Ellie and Arnie just sniffed each other than sat and ate their veg and went to sleep! Growing up we had two separate female piggy cages but used to let them mix randomly on the floor during clean outs (before we knew any better!) and they got on well. Sadly it looks like Ellie appears to be a bit of a bully and will take longer to welcome Marcie. Both have been teeth chattering, puffing up, going sidewides towards eachother and fighting were they lock and roll. So we tried to end todays meet on a good note while they were sat munching and back to their own cages to settle and will swap bedding and do daily meets for now. Marcie is a lovely pig, I hope they will both come round soon!

IMG_20180527_153323872 by Hliz, on Flickr

IMG_20180527_145518152 by Hliz, on Flickr

IMG_20180526_192256669 by Hliz, on Flickr

Good luck with the bonding Liz - those piggies do look quite similar, don't they?

I hope Ellie settles down and becomes more accepting of Marcie. Those are lovely photos
    Up to date and comprehensive info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...16-Sept/page14
    An extensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!

Wise Old Thumper

Pretty piggies! Hope they start to get on well soon.

Oooh - they are beautiful cavies. Such adorable colours - very unique and I hope that you are successful with the bonding.

Yikes... Sorry to sound pessimistic, but I don't like the sound of this bond! I really hope it works out for you.
    Sarah.

RIP Dusty and Clover xxx
    Harry hamster
    Misty and Pearl guinea pigs

Thank you all SarahP I am shocked at their behaviour, trying to read up on it it seems quite rare for two females to act like this. I don't want either to be unhappy, I adopted Marcie for Ellie so she wouldn't be alone, but want the best for the new piggy too so hope they both have a positive interaction tomorrow.

If you need help with anything PM me or any of the other forum buddies (name shown in green)

If they dont get on you could always have a divider in their pen so that they can still interact. Hope it all works out for them.

Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar

Aww they are gorgeous little piggies ❤️ I really hope they'll be able to live happily together.

Come on lady piggies, I thought you guys were supposed to be the easy ones to bond!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [IMG][/IMG]

Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

Quote Originally Posted by tulsi View Post
    If they dont get on you could always have a divider in their pen so that they can still interact. Hope it all works out for them.
    Yes, I think that's probably the better way of getting used to each other than sudden interactions. Although, are their cages right next to each other?

What worries me about this bond is that both seem to want to be dominant - one of them needs to concede to the other's dominance. They may both be too feisty for each other. Obviously I hope I'm wrong!
    Sarah.

RIP Dusty and Clover xxx
    Harry hamster
    Misty and Pearl guinea pigs