• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Scratching

C9FAL

Young Bun
Hello,

We have 1 bunny who constantly scratches the floor at the corner of his pen, does anyone know what this means, what he's trying to do? Any ideas on what to give him to stop? He has loads of toys, gets out his pen to play. He is on his own at the moment but we do have another bunny who we are trying to bond with him.

Hello,

We have 1 bunny who constantly scratches the floor at the corner of his pen, does anyone know what this means, what he's trying to do? Any ideas on what to give him to stop? He has loads of toys, gets out his pen to play. He is on his own at the moment but we do have another bunny who we are trying to bond with him.

He is exhibiting normal Bunny behaviour- digging.

A few Qs :

1 Is he neutered, I am assuming that he is if you are attempting to bond him with another Rabbit

2 How large is his pen ?

3 Where is the other Rabbit housed at the moment, in relation to your Buck ?

Providing him with a digging box may be something to consider doing

http://bunnyproof.com/how-to/how-to-make-a-digging-box-for-your-rabbit

None of my other rabbits have been like this that's why I was wondering �� Yeah he is neutered. He has plenty of room in his pen. Loads of room to run and binky about. Although he will be getting a bigger one when we move house for both of them. She is in the same room but he probably can see her. Although he was doing this before we got her. I will have a look at that thank you.

When you say he has plenty of room in his pen, but how large is his pen and does he have constant access to a large run?

When you say he has plenty of room in his pen, but how large is his pen and does he have constant access to a large run?
I'm not sure how big exactly. All my other rabbits have been in it. None of my othet rabbits have done this that's why I'm asking. He does get out his pen when we are at home but when he's in his pen hw does it. As I said he does have plenty of room in his pen but he will be getting a bigger one once we move house in the next few months. They are indoor rabbits.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hello,

Hi there :wave:

At a guess I would say he is trying to 'burrow' out :)

It's common behaviour with some rabbits. Some do it anyway, even if they are out.

How is the bonding going?

Hi there :wave:

At a guess I would say he is trying to 'burrow' out :)

It's common behaviour with some rabbits. Some do it anyway, even if they are out.

How is the bonding going?
Hi [emoji4]

It was all good until they had a fight. I've been scared to put them togethet again but I know if we want them bonded we have to. We are moving house soon and would like them bonded for moving house. Our other 2 were so so easy. They just bonded straight away with no problems at all.

I have a rabbit spayed which does this now and then. She scratches right in a corner. I assumed she was feeling broody? She was in a playhouse last year, with her brother, and quite a big enclosure, yet she would keep on jumping out and as I have other rabbits running around it was dangerous for her so I bought a big hutch and put them in that! I couldn't make the enclosure higher as I can't find anyone to do jobs for me. So, I have no real advice, just make sure he has plenty of hay to keep him occupied.

Hi [emoji4]

It was all good until they had a fight. I've been scared to put them togethet again but I know if we want them bonded we have to. We are moving house soon and would like them bonded for moving house. Our other 2 were so so easy. They just bonded straight away with no problems at all.

Are they in a neutral area when they are together? Also, was it a devastating 'lock on' fight?

I have a rabbit spayed which does this now and then. She scratches right in a corner. I assumed she was feeling broody? She was in a playhouse last year, with her brother, and quite a big enclosure, yet she would keep on jumping out and as I have other rabbits running around it was dangerous for her so I bought a big hutch and put them in that! I couldn't make the enclosure higher as I can't find anyone to do jobs for me. So, I have no real advice, just make sure he has plenty of hay to keep him occupied.
That's exactly where Domino scratches. Right in the corner. He likes to jump out to so we have a sheet over his pen. I'm just hoping he settles once bonded.

Are they in a neutral area when they are together? Also, was it a devastating 'lock on' fight?
Yeah they go into the kitchen as neither of them are ever in there. That's why I want to get a brand bew pen for moving house for them being bonded. New pen and new environment. I left the kitchen for 2 seconds to go into a cupboard right at the kitchen door, went back in and there was fur everwhere. They were scratching each other full blown but that was it.

Yeah they go into the kitchen as neither of them are ever in there. That's why I want to get a brand bew pen for moving house for them being bonded. New pen and new environment. I left the kitchen for 2 seconds to go into a cupboard right at the kitchen door, went back in and there was fur everwhere. They were scratching each other full blown but that was it.

I always use the kitchen as I can disinfect the floor and put stuff in there like litter trays and boxes.

I have to say, you need nerves of steel to bond bunnies sometimes :shock: To be able to watch them scuffle and yet maintain your own Zen isn't easy.

I always use the kitchen as I can disinfect the floor and put stuff in there like litter trays and boxes.

I have to say, you need nerves of steel to bond bunnies sometimes :shock: To be able to watch them scuffle and yet maintain your own Zen isn't easy.
Yeah I take there toys in there to for them to play with. I've definitely realised that now. We clearly had it easy with the first two but we will get there eventually [emoji4]

Yeah I take there toys in there to for them to play with. I've definitely realised that now. We clearly had it easy with the first two but we will get there eventually [emoji4]

Fighting spirit :D

At least you know now who the instigator is. Perhaps it will be better if you wait until you have moved before trying to bond further, sounds like your female is feisty/territorial.

At least you know now who the instigator is. Perhaps it will be better if you wait until you have moved before trying to bond further, sounds like your female is feisty/territorial.
Our male let her into his pen no problem and she went for him in his pen. She is the newest bunny. Can she still try and be territorial?

Back