• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Could I have some expert bunny opinions?

VickyC83

Mama Doe
I had to have my little boy pts last Saturday 💔. I keep going over and over things in my head, and for the sake of my sanity (and others around me) I need to ask people to try and get some sense. He was a dental bunny (he had 56 dentals in total and bounced back from them all except the last one) and was 10 days away from turning 9. He'd been struggling to eat so I was syringe feeding him. I then found him peeing blood so he had blood tests to rule out kidney and liver failure. It turned out to be an infection which was treated. He still struggled to eat so we had no choice but to do another anesthetic to investigate. It was an ulcer on his cheek and some loose skin, which was removed. I carried on stringing fibreplex and recovery food along with baby food and all the other usual food. He'd maintained his weight and although a little quiet still had fight in him. We visited the vets last Saturday and he was happy for me to go back and few days later. I came home and syringe fed him then tried to tempt him to eat before leaving to go shopping. He had a habit of spitting the food out and dribble it but he'd then clean himself so he was getting it one way or another. I came home 6 hours later to see him laid (not flopped ) in his litter tray. He turned to look at me and when I picked him up his breathing was labored. He kept kicking out unless I was holding him or her was in his carry cage. I noticed he was mouth breathing and had a substance round his mouth and I think some was coming from his nose.
I can't help but feel this was my fault, have I choked him? Could I have done more? Friends are telling me no. If he was choking he wouldn't have lasted til I got home. They think it was his time and he'd been shutting down but wanted to wait for me to be with him.
As much as I want to believe this is still hate myself. Would he have been able to last the 6 hours if he was choking, or was this one fight too many?😭💔

Vicky, imo you did far more for your bunny than many others. 56 dentals and he made it to nearly 9! No bunny could ask for more love and care. I am very sorry for your loss. xx

I'm not a bunny expert, but I think you did everything you could to give him a great life and you looked after him so well. Please don't feel guilty, sending hugs xxxx

I'm really sorry you have lost your precious little boy :cry: I am certainly no expert, but it's very clear to anyone reading your post how well you looked after him.

Sending lots of hugs.

I am very sorry for your loss :cry: I'm certainly not an 'expert', but from your post it sounds as though you did your very best for your Rabbit and made sure that he had ongoing Veterinary attention. That is all any of us can do for the Rabbits in our care.

RIP little Bunny xx

Vicky,

In more than three decades of having pet bunnies, I have seen mouth breathing and kicking just prior to the bunny dying.
You were able to get him through 56 dentals. As an owner of 2 dental bunnies I know how difficult it is to have them eat enough to maintain their weight, so you did an excellent job with your bunny to have him survive 56 dentals to become a 9 year old bunny. There are so many things that can happen to a 9 year old bunny that have nothing to do with you.
Listen to your friends.

I'm so very sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved bunny. Getting him through 56 dentals, shows nothing but love and devotion in my opinion. It sounds like it was your bunnys time, and I agree with your friends, he waited for you to be there, knowing how much he was loved. Binky free little bunny xxxxx

I'm so sorry for your loss. I think it's normal to go over things and wonder what if etc, but it sounds like you did everything you could and he had obviously been through a lot xx

Thank you everyone for your kind words 💖
I can't believe how losing a little ball of fluff can turn a world upside down bless him. Your replies have definitely helped 😊 x

I'm far from an expert, but I think you did everything you could and more. You've been through so much together, and he couldn't have asked for a better carer. It is completely natural to think 'what if?' and to come to conclusions that lead to blaming yourself. However, I think one of the biggest things that is happening to you is that you're grieving, and that is completely natural. Having been through a lifetime of dentals, you must have developed a close bond. Be kind to yourself during your grief. I hope you can soon look back on the good memories, rather than the trauma of the ending.

Binky free, little bun. xxx

It is natural to feel guilt when you lose a loved pet in such a sudden way, but as previous replies echo, there is no blame at all to be felt by you. You cared so dearly for little bun and took him to the vets when it was needed. The sadness you feel is because you care and you miss your bunny. The fact he became such a special part of your life shows what a great bond you had and you gave your rabbit safety, security, shelter, food and love and those are the important things that rabbits need in life, and in some cases, are so cruelly denied. It is right to hold the memory of your rabbit so dearly and to treasure the memories you have of him. Binky free little bun xx

Back