Thread: Could this have given Lacey a tummy problem?

Wise Old Thumper

Default Could this have given Lacey a tummy problem?

Lacey was off her food yesterday. The day previous she had had nothing which should have upset her but I noticed some of the veneer from the back of the hutch had been stripped off. Fortunately, about an hour before the Vets open at 3 pm I noticed she was sitting up having a wash and when she saw me she was looking for food. She ate some Spring Greens quickly so I postponed going to the Vets. I am wondering if she had eaten some of the veneer as I couldn't see it in the hutch and this had made her ill. I have now put her and Darcey in another hutch.

Wise Old Thumper

I think this is possible. I think you would need to know what sort of wood veneer it is and whether it is rabbit friendly. You'd also need to know just how much she had actually eaten, if indeed any. It's possible that Darcey ate it all and wasn't affected by it.

There seem to be several unknowns, so yes I would say it was possible but not easy to confirm.

I hope she remains OK.
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

Wise Old Thumper

Thanks for the reply. I shall keep them in another hutch for now.

Hope Lacey is ok. It is such a concern when rabbits eat things they shouldn't. I would keep an eye open for unusual poo.