• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Big sticky poops

clarebear

Mama Doe
Hello, I am just after a bit of advice please.

Our house bunny Bungee is 7 years old and over the last 7ish months she has started to produce rather large, sticky, stinky poops. She is still producing normal pellet like poos too, although these don't seem to be as big and golden lately.

I usually find these poops in the morning, mostly in her litter tray, with the ocassional one on the carpet. (We don't mind, as we have have carpet tiles so easy to clean or replace!) They are large and very squashed normally and they are very smelly. Some look as though they are uneaten cecatrophes, but others just look like mini cowpats. Some are so big, I wonder how she gets them out of her little furry bottom :shock:....although they are pretty squishy.

I took her to the vets last month, as she had one episode of not wanting to eat, which thankfully passed quickly, and she checked over was prescribed some Fibreplex, which did nothing. Then another visit where she wasn't eating for a few hours. She didn't want her breakfast and hadn't really produced many poos overnight. The vet gave her a really good check over (Best one we've ever had at our vets!). She completely ruled out teeth problems, and felt everything else was fine and that she was in good condition. She gave her a metacam injection and sent me home with recovery and gut stimulant meds. I left her for a while to let the pain meds kick in and then because she still wasn't eating syringe fed her some recovery. By the afternoon she was back eating again - phew! No gut meds needed!

However her poops have not improved. I've tried no greens, no carrot or parsnip (she only has a small amount of these anyway), but no change. I am cutting down her treats and pellets a little too, but no change as yet.

The lady Bungee boards with, who is very knowledgeable about buns, says she has come across this with older bunnies and suggested I changed Bungee's pellets to one for the more 'mature' bunny, which I am gradually doing. She said she has found this problem in older and single bunnies more than bonded buns.

Bungee is happy in herself, bouncy around and eating well.

Sorry for the long post, but any help gratefully recieved.

Thanks x

There are a few members whose rabbits don't have any pellets. They have herbs and forage. and hay. Maybe you could look into this sort of diet? D and P's rabbits are on this sort of diet.

Is bungee your avatar bun? I've been thinking about her. Has your vet ruled out / looked in to megacolon? I honestly don't know much about it but it always comes to my mind with english spot bunnies who have poo problems x

Yes that's Bungee. Interesting you should mention this....I've been reading up on it and I did wonder. We're back at the vets next week for vacinations, so I think I will mention it. I'll go and get my book out again. I think there was also an article about in Rabbiting on magazine. I wasn't sure if she would be classed as an English spot to be honest!

Yes that's Bungee. Interesting you should mention this....I've been reading up on it and I did wonder. We're back at the vets next week for vacinations, so I think I will mention it. I'll go and get my book out again. I think there was also an article about in Rabbiting on magazine. I wasn't sure if she would be classed as an English spot to be honest!

I agree its worth a mention but hope it can be discounted. Apparently megacolon buns need extra nutrition so it might be worth hanging fire on any dietary changes til then

Hope you find an answer to the poo issue. It does sound like something is amiss with her digestion. I gave my late bunny, Spenser, pro-fibre as a supplement and have just started Bertie on a few of these daily. Might be worth asking your vet about these.

My Maple producing lots and lots of Un eaten cecals everywhere. I changed her to nearly pellet free and now I have no issues. I give her four of these a day
9738cda2ce25348804708fe18284d2ec.jpg

I was recommended these from a fellow RU member. They smell delicious too

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thank you. Yes, she a really good hay eater. She's nomming away as I type!
I will check out the Beaphar Nature. Thanks.

Back from the vets. Bungee has had her combi vaccination, back for vhd2 in August. The vet said there had been some local cases ☹
Re her tum, which he brought up. He didn't think megacolon as she hasn't lost any weight. He suggested worming. I have never wormed my rabbits, always been reluctant to use the Panacur for this in case of E.C.
Do you think it's worth a try?

It won't do any harm I suppose, only a 9 day course but I would give her a few days or a week to get over her vaccination. Mustn't overload her system. Imo.

Back