• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Some advice needed please

Colly

Warren Scout
Hi all, it's been a while since I've been on, and as always I need some advice please: I've got Obi (5) and Elmo (4) two wonderful boy house bunnies.

Elmo - was a rescue and came to me quite thin (could feel his spine and hip bones), he's a tiny lion head lop...he eats and drinks well (lots of hay (both very plain hay and the Burgess Camomile and dandelion hays...which I tend to think are a bit richer?) and Selective pellets)...but he always seems to have a messy (smelly) bottom, he's got no front teeth and the beginning of some tiny spurs (vet checked recently) but he's eating fine just seems to be losing the weight he gained, he has such watery eyes but his fluff is always in his eyes I try to remove daily....I give him just 5 pellets daily now and endless hay...? He has a small amount of greens (coriander) and I tried some kale last night...he loved that :)...but I must be honest Obi had bloat and I almost lost him which the vet blamed on the greens causing gas to build up so I have a real fear of feeding greens to either of my boys....

Obi - very messy bottom at the moment, been moulting for about 2 weeks, his poor coat looks so tufty and messy he has the same diet as Elmo, and last night noticed he has a watery eye that's just appeared :(.... Obi also has no front teeth...

Both bunny are snuffle buns, but I keep a check on that and at the moment they are just sneezing now and then, no nose discharge...or any other signs that has flared up....

Where am I going wrong?!!?
Thanks
Colette x

Back