Thread: What hay is good?

Young Bun

Default What hay is good?

I normally gave my rabbit timothy hay, but he doesn't seem to eat it much.
    I looked at oat hay from timothyhay.co.uk as they dont have timmothy hay in stock. From what I read, oat hay can cause digestive problems with its riped seeds.
    I also looked at hay-and-straw.co.uk which have a good selection of hay.
    Im considering meadow or timmothy hay from hay and straw.
    Is the hay dust exctracted from there? Does it have green and long strands?

Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    I looked at oat hay from timothyhay.co.uk as they dont have timmothy hay in stock. From what I read, oat hay can cause digestive problems with its riped seeds.
    Ooo I thought the oat hay was okay from them something about it not having gone to seed yet - Idk don't quote me! Mine love that oat hay

Hay and straws, hay doesn't seem dusty at all to me - I only buy the ings though - they do a sample pack and mine weren't keen on the others they sell

I buy the Timothy and oat from Timothyhay.co.uk (their hay isn't dusty at all and is great quality imo) and ings hay and straw from hayandstraw

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    Ooo I thought the oat hay was okay from them something about it not having gone to seed yet - Idk don't quote me! Mine love that oat hay

Hay and straws, hay doesn't seem dusty at all to me - I only buy the ings though - they do a sample pack and mine weren't keen on the others they sell

I buy the Timothy and oat from Timothyhay.co.uk (their hay isn't dusty at all and is great quality imo) and ings hay and straw from hayandstraw

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
    That's right. From their website " The "oat" in the name can be misleading, and some may think it is more fattening and should be a treat but the hay is cut before the actual oat kernel is fully mature. As a result, the seed heads consist of mostly oat husks that are rich in fibre." My rabbits like this hay too and have had no digestive problems with it. We also buy the timothy hay from the same site, which also goes down very well.

I haven't had experience of the other hays you mentioned.
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post

Hi edward

The only issue I have found with the oat hay is that the seeds can sometimes get stuck in the rabbit's cheek or bum fur
    Please vaccinate your rabbits for RHD2 as well ..
    Two more house rabbit deaths just confirmed

Reliable, up to date advice on RHD2: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...40#post7012340

Warren Veteran

I get oat hay for my bunnies too. They love it - no problems. They love the timothy too but I prefer the oat so they get that

Young Bun

Ok thank you all for the adivce!
    For now Im gonna get a sample of hay to see what my bun likes the most , and then I'll base my choice of that.