• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What hay is good?

edward

Young Bun
I normally gave my rabbit timothy hay, but he doesn't seem to eat it much.
I looked at oat hay from timothyhay.co.uk as they dont have timmothy hay in stock. From what I read, oat hay can cause digestive problems with its riped seeds.
I also looked at hay-and-straw.co.uk which have a good selection of hay.
Im considering meadow or timmothy hay from hay and straw.
Is the hay dust exctracted from there? Does it have green and long strands?

I looked at oat hay from timothyhay.co.uk as they dont have timmothy hay in stock. From what I read, oat hay can cause digestive problems with its riped seeds.
Ooo I thought the oat hay was okay from them something about it not having gone to seed yet - Idk don't quote me! Mine love that oat hay :)

Hay and straws, hay doesn't seem dusty at all to me - I only buy the ings though - they do a sample pack and mine weren't keen on the others they sell

I buy the Timothy and oat from Timothyhay.co.uk (their hay isn't dusty at all and is great quality imo) and ings hay and straw from hayandstraw :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Ooo I thought the oat hay was okay from them something about it not having gone to seed yet - Idk don't quote me! Mine love that oat hay :)

Hay and straws, hay doesn't seem dusty at all to me - I only buy the ings though - they do a sample pack and mine weren't keen on the others they sell

I buy the Timothy and oat from Timothyhay.co.uk (their hay isn't dusty at all and is great quality imo) and ings hay and straw from hayandstraw :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

That's right. From their website " The "oat" in the name can be misleading, and some may think it is more fattening and should be a treat but the hay is cut before the actual oat kernel is fully mature. As a result, the seed heads consist of mostly oat husks that are rich in fibre." My rabbits like this hay too and have had no digestive problems with it. We also buy the timothy hay from the same site, which also goes down very well.

I haven't had experience of the other hays you mentioned.

Hi edward :)

The only issue I have found with the oat hay is that the seeds can sometimes get stuck in the rabbit's cheek or bum fur :)

I get oat hay for my bunnies too. They love it - no problems. They love the timothy too but I prefer the oat so they get that:lol:

Ok thank you all for the adivce!
For now Im gonna get a sample of hay to see what my bun likes the most , and then I'll base my choice of that.

Back