• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long to recover from dental

glitterdust

Warren Scout
Jimmy has just had his 5th dental under G A this year, he has them monthly, the vets told me last time it is either this or I have to let him go. They cannot do his teeth while he is awake because of where the tooth is situated we discussed this to extent.. The last 4 times Jimmy has bounced back the next day like nothing has happened. This time 28 hours later and he is still not eating properly and seems depressed. Is everytime different. I am starting to feel these g.a.s are going to take there toll on him eventually. [emoji853]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I'm sorry that Jimmy had to have another dental and that he hasn't bounced back so quickly this time.

It might be not so much the accumulative effect of several GAs, but some other reasons. I'm thinking maybe any soreness caused by the teeth was worse this time and so damage to the tissue needs to heal before he feels OK again. I'm assuming that he's got pain relief? It might also be that he hasn't processed the anaesthetic as quickly this time, which could be for a variety of causes. It could be that the operation itself has left the mouth or jaw feeling uncomfortable. All of these could take a day or two to resolve.

In the meantime, as you know, you will need to make sure his digestive system is working properly so that he doesn't get gut slowdown. If you feel he's still not eating enough I think I would contact your vet for advice/medication.

Sending lots of vibes for him. I hope he soon picks up.

I'm sorry that Jimmy had to have another dental and that he hasn't bounced back so quickly this time.

It might be not so much the accumulative effect of several GAs, but some other reasons. I'm thinking maybe any soreness caused by the teeth was worse this time and so damage to the tissue needs to heal before he feels OK again. I'm assuming that he's got pain relief? It might also be that he hasn't processed the anaesthetic as quickly this time, which could be for a variety of causes. It could be that the operation itself has left the mouth or jaw feeling uncomfortable. All of these could take a day or two to resolve.

In the meantime, as you know, you will need to make sure his digestive system is working properly so that he doesn't get gut slowdown. If you feel he's still not eating enough I think I would contact your vet for advice/medication.

Sending lots of vibes for him. I hope he soon picks up.
Thank you, yes we have metacam and zantac. He seems a little brighter at the minute as it Is (dusk) and he has eaten some dandelions. His mouth does still seem sore though. As I'm typing this he is eating a rose Bush so obviously not too sore [emoji38]. I find rabbits so hard to read. Im good at understanding animals but rabbits always have quite a miserable expression so I can never tell if they are happy or not [emoji4] especially through the day when they are resting. Thank you, I am sure i was just being impatient this time.

Thank you, yes we have metacam and zantac. He seems a little brighter at the minute as it Is (dusk) and he has eaten some dandelions. His mouth does still seem sore though. As I'm typing this he is eating a rose Bush so obviously not too sore [emoji38]. I find rabbits so hard to read. Im good at understanding animals but rabbits always have quite a miserable expression so I can never tell if they are happy or not [emoji4] especially through the day when they are resting. Thank you, I am sure i was just being impatient this time.

Well that of course is the best outcome :) I agree resting time is never a good time to assess them.

Jimmy has just had his 5th dental under G A this year, he has them monthly, the vets told me last time it is either this or I have to let him go. They cannot do his teeth while he is awake because of where the tooth is situated we discussed this to extent.. The last 4 times Jimmy has bounced back the next day like nothing has happened. This time 28 hours later and he is still not eating properly and seems depressed. Is everytime different. I am starting to feel these g.a.s are going to take there toll on him eventually. [emoji853]

Sorry to hear about Jimmy :(

It's a shame your vet can't do the teeth whilst he's awake. I know some vets just aren't confident in that respect, and I would rather they say so than go ahead.

Repeated GAs are bound to have an effect on him eventually. You could get a second opinion on his teeth, with a vet that is very conversant with 'conscious dentals', just to put your mind at rest that you've done all you can?

Sorry to hear about Jimmy :(

It's a shame your vet can't do the teeth whilst he's awake. I know some vets just aren't confident in that respect, and I would rather they say so than go ahead.

Repeated GAs are bound to have an effect on him eventually. You could get a second opinion on his teeth, with a vet that is very conversant with 'conscious dentals', just to put your mind at rest that you've done all you can?
I would definitely do that but I really don't know where to start. Could I just ring random vets up in the area and ask if they do this or do i have to go for consultations first before i find out. Thanks

I have a dental bun & she has been a little different both pre & post op, each time she has had one. How quickly she gets back to her piggy self, her toileting, how drowsy she appears has varied lots. I know this is easy for me to say but I'd try not to worry about this dental being less well tolerated. It is far from a pattern & as yet there is nothing to suggest he'll cope less well with each subsequent GA he has. If that does happen then maybe you'd need a rethink. I'm sending loads of vibes for Jimmy that he is feeling fully well soon

You did make me giggle with the miserable rabbit face thing. Boo has a miserable face but I swear some of my rabbits smile

I have a dental bun & she has been a little different both pre & post op, each time she has had one. How quickly she gets back to her piggy self, her toileting, how drowsy she appears has varied lots. I know this is easy for me to say but I'd try not to worry about this dental being less well tolerated. It is far from a pattern & as yet there is nothing to suggest he'll cope less well with each subsequent GA he has. If that does happen then maybe you'd need a rethink. I'm sending loads of vibes for Jimmy that he is feeling fully well soon

You did make me giggle with the miserable rabbit face thing. Boo has a miserable face but I swear some of my rabbits smile
Thank you this gives me hope, out of 5 so far, this has been the worst. Maybe next time he will be different. The vet did say every time will be different. Thank you x

One of my buns took a couple of days to recover from a dental. She had the procedure on a Monday, was very subdued and needed help feeding right up until the Wednesday evening. That was her first dental. I think the reasons Omi gave above give a good account for why Jimmy is a little slower to bounce back this time.

I really hope Jimmy is back to his old self soon, it's a horribly anxious time waiting for them to recover. x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would definitely do that but I really don't know where to start. Could I just ring random vets up in the area and ask if they do this or do i have to go for consultations first before i find out. Thanks

Ringing around should give you a start, if you're interested.

Let me know if I can help you xx

How's Jimmy today?
Hi had a horrible time. He is back in the vets for tonight, he was still wanting to eat today but couldn't ,it was just like he hadnt had his dental, I took him back today, I was furious. I got a second opinion and there was a small spur and there was blood in his mouth. I am fuming right now. What exactly did they do to him on Tuesday. Normally they are very good with him. They said they did do his teeth but must of missed that tiny spur. I will collect him tomorrow. I really have no luck. [emoji853]my poor boy he has enough trouble. X

Hi had a horrible time. He is back in the vets for tonight, he was still wanting to eat today but couldn't ,it was just like he hadnt had his dental, I took him back today, I was furious. I got a second opinion and there was a small spur and there was blood in his mouth. I am fuming right now. What exactly did they do to him on Tuesday. Normally they are very good with him. They said they did do his teeth but must of missed that tiny spur. I will collect him tomorrow. I really have no luck. [emoji853]my poor boy he has enough trouble. X

I knew there was something wrong with him immediatly on tuesday when he can back. My instinct told me.

Goodness I am so sorry to hear this :cry: Sending lots of vibes for poor Jimmy xx

Oh gosh, poor Jimmy and poor you :( So, have they done the remaining spur or will they do it tomorrow?

Hopefully once the spur is taken away he will start to pick up very quickly. What a good job you were vigilant and realised that something wasn't right.

Sending lots of vibes for him.

So sorry to hear this. Sending loads of vibes for Jimmy and hugs for you xx

Oh gosh, poor Jimmy and poor you :( So, have they done the remaining spur or will they do it tomorrow?

Hopefully once the spur is taken away he will start to pick up very quickly. What a good job you were vigilant and realised that something wasn't right.

Sending lots of vibes for him.
Yes they did the remaining spur and he bounced back like he normally does and is now back to normal.i knew immediately when he came round properly something wasn't right. Not good vet practise and very stressful for all of us but all is well that ends well. Thanks

Yes they did the remaining spur and he bounced back like he normally does and is now back to normal.i knew immediately when he came round properly something wasn't right. Not good vet practise and very stressful for all of us but all is well that ends well. Thanks

I can imagine it has been extremely stressful for you. Thank goodness that Jimmy is doing much better now. I hope that you were not charged for the second procedure.

Lucky you know Jimmy so well to trust your instincts. I'm glad he bounced back this time - at least he still looks to be handling the GA's well, brave poppet x

Back