• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Timothy hay.co.uk

I don't think it would make him gassy. It's certainly green and stalky, but it differs from Timothy in that the stalks are fatter. It will obviously taste different too.

Ings is nice hay. I've had it before. However, it's soft, not stalky. But it's sweet-smelling and does have some nice weeds in it too.

Has Toby ever refused any hay? If so, what type was it?

If as Graciee says they will have more in 3 weeks, I would try locally to get a small amount of Timothy hay elsewhere and mix it in with what you have left. I would also, once you get a regular normal supply from Timothy Hay co, try Toby with an alternative, so you don't have this situation again.

This is what I would do, too :thumb: you can get a sample of ings hay, the sample they sent me a few weeks ago was a bit more golden brown, I thought it smelt nice, and I know a lot of RU bunnies like it, but Frosty didn’t even want to try it! :shock: He chucked it out of the bowl and did a wee on it :lol:

the hay from hay and straw may not smell as strong (though it is very sweet to me), its the quality that matters. its long and stalky and I've found twigs in it before, they had a field day with those lol.

the ings hay is softer, but it goes down a treat. it often has flowers in it that makes it more like a forage party, its considered to be quite sweet. it might be softer but, its not considered to give spurs to bunnies as they are still grinding the hay down, which is the important part. they seem to enjoy it being softer.

I often rotate between all the hays at hay and straw, they seem to be less keen on meadow however so I tend to just rotate between timothy and ings.

This is what I would do, too :thumb: you can get a sample of ings hay, the sample they sent me a few weeks ago was a bit more golden brown, I thought it smelt nice, and I know a lot of RU bunnies like it, but Frosty didn’t even want to try it! :shock: He chucked it out of the bowl and did a wee on it :lol:

Mine dissed Ings too which was annoying as I think its organic & relatively local to me. I'd like to sleep on a bed of it.

Loobers that king alfalfa timothy hay (whatever its called) that's sold at pets@home is a huge hit with my bunnies.

So Toby's huge mountains of hay in his dog bed - is that all timothyhay.co.uk timothy hay?

Thank you everyone for replies. I wasn't really prepared for it to be out of stock as I didn't know it goes out of stock!

I am not really concerned about how much the hay costs it's just that Toby eats well over his body weight a day since going pellet free. He also has some teeth issues potentially developing so I'm trying to keep him eating.

The hays I bought recently he won't eat are:
All the burgess varieties including long stem
Selective science hay from hay experts
All as an attempt to mix

I think it doesn't help that I am feeding four animals in four different areas. When they are bonded I would like to only have one hay feeder for timothy hay and another for a different variety.

I think going forward I would like to try the oat hay when I get paid, especially for my other buns at least. All we have here is timothy hay and forage. It's such a hit with the bunnies I have never seen hay nomming like it!

Joeys mum the dog beds are lined with cheap meadow hay from a local pet shop for poops.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I know some of you probably think it's OTT but he's had three episodes this year and i feel really lucky to have him after i lost Millie. I feel i have to be belt and braces with Toby

I know some of you probably think it's OTT but he's had three episodes this year and i feel really lucky to have him after i lost Millie. I feel i have to be belt and braces with Toby

Nooo I understand completely :) anything to avoid that again, poor Toby xx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

No such feelings here. It's completely understandable.

I don't think it's OTT- just great that you have found something that works for him x

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Not over the top at all, you've found what works for Toby chops & I totally get you not wanting to upset the apple cart

I don’t think you are being OTT all, most definitely not. I used to feed Frosty on baled meadow hay, which he loved, but then he went off it and needed a dental, or probably the other way round, and it became a mission to find hay he did like, and luckily I’ve found a few, so if he goes off one he should still eat something else :roll: The goats happily eat all the stuff that he doesn’t like thankfully :lol:

I have never tried the oat hay in case it made him gassy. I have only ever given him meadow or timothy. And alfalfa when he was a baby . You think i can try it omi?

I have never found oat hay to make my rabbits gassy and they are eating it all the time :)

It's incredibly good for teeth.
There's plenty on timothyhay.co.uk at the moment, but they do seem to sell out at a moment's notice :shock:

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm going to order some oat hay maybe some others. See what goes down!

Hopefully will not be too long til it’s back in stock, my bunnies will be most displeased if we run out :lol: I think I have enough to last until I go on holiday, hoping to get more once I’m back though. We’ve had lots of nice dry weather recently which is highly unusual around here so that should help with this years supply. Mine don’t seem as keen on the oat hay, I still mix some in for them but they tend to eat that last.

Hopefully will not be too long til it’s back in stock, my bunnies will be most displeased if we run out :lol: I think I have enough to last until I go on holiday, hoping to get more once I’m back though. We’ve had lots of nice dry weather recently which is highly unusual around here so that should help with this years supply. Mine don’t seem as keen on the oat hay, I still mix some in for them but they tend to eat that last.

I guess this will be 2018 stock coming through (when it does), so I would be interested to have some. My bunnies normally get the year before (due to when I need it and order).

Anyone had the same years' stuff? :wave:

Back