Thread: Bunnies have a new neighbour! Pictures added post 7

Default Bunnies have a new neighbour! Pictures added post 7

I'll post pictures when Matt's sent them to me: I took them on his phone

We noticed a few months ago that a wren was building a nest somewhere under the big garden table next to the dog crate, but I said it wouldn't be the one that was chosen as the female wouldn't want to be so close to the ground (AFAIR, males build several nests and the female chooses one). Recently we've had the bunnies out on the lawn and they've not been going round so easily for pellets, so Matt's been shaking them under the table and the poor wren has flown out (we're very apologetic). Last night, I was watering plants and putting saucers underneath, and I went over to the pots next to the dog crate (they're on the table holding some mesh in place) and got the fright of my life when this wren shot out as I moved the thyme pot! Blasted things have nested in a gap in the bricks! Puts paid to our plan of moving the dog crate soonish: now I need to wait until the nest webs over (showing no movement) as I can't guarantee this is the only nest in the area so seeing fledglings may not be enough.

This morning, I was putting some rubbish in the wheelie bin and a scornful little brown head poked out and watched me! If looks could kill...! That was before I got 'attacked' by a little Canada gosling (about 8" tall?!) while I was riding my bike down the canal towpath! I don't see that one surviving much longer, far too daring! Dunno where it's learned that from, because the adults are quite wary of people, let alone bikes.

I've told the bunnies they need to look after the wrens, and the wrens that they shouldn't deafen Aboleth; Lopsy's lost most of his hearing so should be fine with their shrill calls
    Last edited by keletkezes; 23-06-2018 at 09:27 AM.
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Wise Old Thumper

Wonderful

You sometimes question their choices for nest sites. We have Long-tailed tits nesting in the perimeter hedge. With a choice of several metres, they have selected a spot directly behind where we sit
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

Quote Originally Posted by keletkezes View Post
    I'll post pictures when Matt's sent them to me: I took them on his phone

We noticed a few months ago that a wren was building a nest somewhere under the big garden table next to the dog crate, but I said it wouldn't be the one that was chosen as the female wouldn't want to be so close to the ground (AFAIR, males build several nests and the female chooses one). Recently we've had the bunnies out on the lawn and they've not been going round so easily for pellets, so Matt's been shaking them under the table and the poor wren has flown out (we're very apologetic). Last night, I was watering plants and putting saucers underneath, and I went over to the pots next to the dog crate (they're on the table holding some mesh in place) and got the fright of my life when this wren shot out as I moved the thyme pot! Blasted things have nested in a gap in the bricks! Puts paid to our plan of moving the dog crate soonish: now I need to wait until the nest webs over (showing no movement) as I can't guarantee this is the only nest in the area so seeing fledglings may not be enough.

This morning, I was putting some rubbish in the wheelie bin and a scornful little brown head poked out and watched me! If looks could kill...! That was before I got 'attacked' by a little Canada gosling (about 8" tall?!) while I was riding my bike down the canal towpath! I don't see that one surviving much longer, far too daring! Dunno where it's learned that from, because the adults are quite wary of people, let alone bikes.

I've told the bunnies they need to look after the wrens, and the wrens that they shouldn't deafen Aboleth; Lopsy's lost most of his hearing so should be fine with their shrill calls

How lovely

Looking forward to the photos
    Up to date and comprehensive info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...16-Sept/page14
    An extensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Wonderful

You sometimes question their choices for nest sites
    . We have Long-tailed tits nesting in the perimeter hedge. With a choice of several metres, they have selected a spot directly behind where we sit
    We rented a tiny renovated cottage several years ago. Some Housemartins built little nests around the window ledges We had to remember we couldn't open the window until OH forgot & destroyed the nests with one clumsy thoughtless move He was really upset with himself as was I. The one saving grace is there was no evidence of eggs laid yet.

I hope Lopsy & Aboleth enjoy their new neighbours. I feel this is a perk for outside bunnies - having things to be watchful over or interesting must be good for keeping them mentally alert & happy

Any photos?
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Argh, sorry, we've been on holiday and the OH is even more forgetful than me! I'll try and remmeber tonight

News, though: there's chicks inside! I saw one when I checked to see if the nest had webbed over! Unmistakeable yellow around the beak I think they're enjoying having the bunnies as a (very fallible except for humans) warning system
    The geeky one...

Pictures finally! Had to use the OH's phone to send them to myself

They fledged* while we were away last week

*The parents were manically visiting before we let, but no sign of movement now: I put a twig in the way and it's not moved. So we're assuming fledged rather than anything more sinister
    The geeky one...

How lovely, that looked a really cosy little place to choose, hope they all make out there in the big wide world !
    [IMG][/IMG]

Wise Old Thumper

I love Wrens! I see our local one{s} about twice a year so you are very priviledged.