• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies have a new neighbour! Pictures added post 7

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
I'll post pictures when Matt's sent them to me: I took them on his phone :D

We noticed a few months ago that a wren was building a nest somewhere under the big garden table next to the dog crate, but I said it wouldn't be the one that was chosen as the female wouldn't want to be so close to the ground (AFAIR, males build several nests and the female chooses one). Recently we've had the bunnies out on the lawn and they've not been going round so easily for pellets, so Matt's been shaking them under the table and the poor wren has flown out (we're very apologetic). Last night, I was watering plants and putting saucers underneath, and I went over to the pots next to the dog crate (they're on the table holding some mesh in place) and got the fright of my life when this wren shot out as I moved the thyme pot! Blasted things have nested in a gap in the bricks! Puts paid to our plan of moving the dog crate soonish: now I need to wait until the nest webs over (showing no movement) as I can't guarantee this is the only nest in the area so seeing fledglings may not be enough.

This morning, I was putting some rubbish in the wheelie bin and a scornful little brown head poked out and watched me! If looks could kill...! That was before I got 'attacked' by a little Canada gosling (about 8" tall?!) while I was riding my bike down the canal towpath! I don't see that one surviving much longer, far too daring! Dunno where it's learned that from, because the adults are quite wary of people, let alone bikes.

I've told the bunnies they need to look after the wrens, and the wrens that they shouldn't deafen Aboleth; Lopsy's lost most of his hearing so should be fine with their shrill calls :)

Last edited:
Wonderful :love:

You sometimes question their choices for nest sites. We have Long-tailed **** nesting in the perimeter hedge. With a choice of several metres, they have selected a spot directly behind where we sit :shock:

I'll post pictures when Matt's sent them to me: I took them on his phone :D

We noticed a few months ago that a wren was building a nest somewhere under the big garden table next to the dog crate, but I said it wouldn't be the one that was chosen as the female wouldn't want to be so close to the ground (AFAIR, males build several nests and the female chooses one). Recently we've had the bunnies out on the lawn and they've not been going round so easily for pellets, so Matt's been shaking them under the table and the poor wren has flown out (we're very apologetic). Last night, I was watering plants and putting saucers underneath, and I went over to the pots next to the dog crate (they're on the table holding some mesh in place) and got the fright of my life when this wren shot out as I moved the thyme pot! Blasted things have nested in a gap in the bricks! Puts paid to our plan of moving the dog crate soonish: now I need to wait until the nest webs over (showing no movement) as I can't guarantee this is the only nest in the area so seeing fledglings may not be enough.

This morning, I was putting some rubbish in the wheelie bin and a scornful little brown head poked out and watched me! If looks could kill...! That was before I got 'attacked' by a little Canada gosling (about 8" tall?!) while I was riding my bike down the canal towpath! I don't see that one surviving much longer, far too daring! Dunno where it's learned that from, because the adults are quite wary of people, let alone bikes.

I've told the bunnies they need to look after the wrens, and the wrens that they shouldn't deafen Aboleth; Lopsy's lost most of his hearing so should be fine with their shrill calls :)

How lovely :love:

Looking forward to the photos :)

Wonderful :love:

You sometimes question their choices for nest sites
. We have Long-tailed **** nesting in the perimeter hedge. With a choice of several metres, they have selected a spot directly behind where we sit :shock:

We rented a tiny renovated cottage several years ago. Some Housemartins built little nests around the window ledges :love: We had to remember we couldn't open the window until OH forgot & destroyed the nests with one clumsy thoughtless move :evil: He was really upset with himself as was I. The one saving grace is there was no evidence of eggs laid yet.

I hope Lopsy & Aboleth enjoy their new neighbours. I feel this is a perk for outside bunnies - having things to be watchful over or interesting must be good for keeping them mentally alert & happy

Argh, sorry, we've been on holiday and the OH is even more forgetful than me! I'll try and remmeber tonight :D

News, though: there's chicks inside! I saw one when I checked to see if the nest had webbed over! Unmistakeable yellow around the beak :D I think they're enjoying having the bunnies as a (very fallible except for humans) warning system :D

Pictures finally! Had to use the OH's phone to send them to myself :roll:

36064272_10156654335444235_5805086683560935424_n.jpg

35922980_10156654335884235_3337670307501572096_n.jpg

35973068_10156654336339235_3036889268111802368_n.jpg

They fledged* while we were away last week :)

*The parents were manically visiting before we let, but no sign of movement now: I put a twig in the way and it's not moved. So we're assuming fledged rather than anything more sinister :)

How lovely, that looked a really cosy little place to choose, hope they all make out there in the big wide world !

Back