Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What rabbit doesn't like nose rubs?

Default What rabbit doesn't like nose rubs?

I thought all buns liked nose rubs but I'm still struggling a month on to give them to Ralph and he put his teeth on me when I tried earlier, should I give up - do some buns just not want/ like it?

I've mentioned on here before when u try stroking his head he's always looking at your hand, now he's put his teeth on me I think he's actually been telling me to get off and not just being inquisitive. Any advice?

Imogen doesn’t really like them either, she'll tolerate them if she's eating or in the mood for them but apart from that she moves away if someone tries. I just leave her to it to be honest.

Photos: Mischa/Mini/Nutmeg/Smudge/Imogen/Instagram Housing Stickies: Indoor/Outdoor

Both our buns don't like nose rubs. They prefer running around like loons

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

My two boys don't really like them from me. They've always been together and had each other for grooming and attention, they just associate my hand with food. They've never bitten, but unless they're already distracted (with food) they'll just move when i try rub their head (to check if I have food) . Princess on the other hand was a single bun until she was about 7 months old and she craved attention so much, she still likes a good nose rub but now she has two boys to keep her company she doesn't come up to me for them as often
    Elmo and Cookie the Thrianta brothers ♥
    Princess the Lionlop

That's reassuring, I thought all bunnies liked them. He's on his own at the moment so it's not like he has another bun to groom him. He doesn't mind his body being stroked just his head. Sounds like I wanna give him nose rubs more than he wants then

My four outdoor rabbits dont appreciate nose rubs. Just got an indoor pair who are still getting used to me and one of them will tolerate a small amount of stroking if he is eating!

Quote Originally Posted by Leannean27 View Post
    That's reassuring, I thought all bunnies liked them. He's on his own at the moment so it's not like he has another bun to groom him. He doesn't mind his body being stroked just his head. Sounds like I wanna give him nose rubs more than he wants then
    My boys tolerate back strokes more than head strokes too. I think a lot of rabbits very strongly associate our hands with food, especially if you've fed them by hand or regularly try stroke their head as they are eating.

I've found that if I go to stroke Princess' head with my hand, straight away she sniffs around to see if I have food ( I hand feed her often), when she realises I don't then sometimes she'll stay, sometimes she goes off and does her own thing. My partner doesn't feed the rabbits by hand at all and she ALWAYS lets him stroke her head. Clearly mum = food, dad = pets and cuddles . If I use my foot or nose/chin to rub her head she usually bows down straight away and enjoys the head rub because she doesn't associate those with food.

Make sure your hands are clean and don't smell of food because that's definitely going to distract them, and wash your hands after touching other rabbits.
    Elmo and Cookie the Thrianta brothers ♥
    Princess the Lionlop

Wise Old Thumper

The late Tabitha Rabbit liked a shoulder rub. Loved it.

My rabbits are happy to sit for a 'cuddle' (that's what we call the whole petting thing, as we could never actually cuddle them!) but if they think something's more interesting they'll hop off. Also if we have ulterior motives, like pulling loose fur out or doing a bum check they'll often scarper. And obviously if there's food elsewhere they'll go there, but usually, especially if they're sleepy, they'll sit with either of us for a while. Not on the lawn, mind, too much fun to be had out there! Plus we tend to pretend pick them up out there if we want them to go in and they're not obliging

We don't really hand-feed though, but both ours will come and find out if we ARE handfeeding before accepting headrubs!
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

We have had Boogie since July last year and her catch phrase would have to be "don't touch me". She is happy to head butt us and take food from our hands but heaven forbid you try and give her a head rub . She is very quick and just moves far enough away. It took Bob at least 18 months to accept head rubs but is now a very chilled bun and loves them.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk