• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Rabbit Behaviour

kwill26

New Kit
Hi

Last week I got a 12 week old lionhead lop called Roo, generally, he seems to be settling in well but I have a few questions.

Each evening I try to hold him so he can become familiar with me and being handled. When I've picked him up, 9 times out of 10 he is really calm. He relaxes his ears and leans his face on me, but he puts up such a fuss beforehand. He always runs away and has stamped his foot once or twice. I don't know what's best for him or whether it's something he likes. Are there any suggestions on what to do?

Also, when I let him out to run around he starts darting sometimes and then returns to moving more slowly. He often does something that looks like binkying and begins jumping, but as he does it so frequently I'm not sure as to whether it's the same. I'm wondering whether it's one of his quirks or it could signify a problem

His breathing is also quite quick and he shakes slightly at times for no apparent reason. Is this normal for a baby?

He is eating and drinking well, appears to be going to the toilet normally also. He doesn't show any major negative signs but I was hoping for some advice

Thanks

Hello and welcome. Lionheads are usually lovely bunnies but it takes a long time for any rabbit to settle into a new home. Rabbits do not like to be handled as they are prey animals so find it scary when someone reaches in to pick them up. It is best if he could come out on his own and he will start to become more friendly if you let him be. Perhaps have a little treat to give him when he comes over to you. If you are patient and treat him kindly he will grow in confidence. As for him running fast then slow this sounds normal and jumping is quite normal as they have very strong back legs. I am not sure what you mean exactly by fast breathing but shaking is not normal and if he does it again I would speak to a Vet about it. Hope this helps.

Hi, thanks a lot for the response

He doesn't appear to shake violently or anything. Sometimes he just quivers slightly

Back