• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bald patch

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

I did a bum check on Skye this afternoon and noticed something that wasn't there yesterday.

She has a round bald patch slightly larger than a £2 coin next to her genitals (basically where her baubles would be if she was male). I don't think there's a lump, but it feels lumpy if that makes sense and is really veiny. I can see something similar the other side but only if I move the fur.

There's no crustiness, it doesn't look sore and she's her happy self, eating and drinking.

Any thoughts? Could she have pulled the fur out in this area for some reason?

Obviously I know asking here is no substitute for vet advice, I just wonder if I'm just seeing something normal, it's just usually covered by fur.

Thanks x

Thanks for the replies.

No not spayed yet (but as soon as finances allow). I'm pretty sure she's a girl as she supposedly had 2 or 3 litters with her old owner :(. Also they don't resemble boys bits :oops:.

I got my dd to take some photos this evening, I'm just waiting on her emailing them, so will revisit this tomorrow. Thanks both x

Thanks for the replies.

No not spayed yet (but as soon as finances allow). I'm pretty sure she's a girl as she supposedly had 2 or 3 litters with her old owner :(. Also they don't resemble boys bits :oops:.

I got my dd to take some photos this evening, I'm just waiting on her emailing them, so will revisit this tomorrow. Thanks both x

I've been thinking about your post and it's difficult to say. Especially something that's as large as that.

Hope it's nothing to worry about (ie not an abscess or anything - they tend to lose the fur on them)

Thanks for the replies.

I got my dd to take some photos this evening, I'm just waiting on her emailing them, so will revisit this tomorrow
. Thanks both x

I'll check back later today, meantime sending vibes xx

Thank you both. Been a busy day, but here's a couple of photos.

As you can see, she does actually have the same thing either side, but more obvious on one. We can't decide if we are just looking at something normal, or if there should be fur there. But it's weird that I didn't notice anything till yesterday if it's always been like that.

https://i.imgur.com/fBFKaK3.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Pgne0MG.jpg

Thanks x

Last edited:
Thank you both. Been a busy day, but here's a couple of photos.

As you can see, she does actually have the same thing either side, but more obvious on one. We can't decide if we are just looking at something normal, or if there should be fur there. But it's weird that I didn't notice anything till yesterday if it's always been like that.

https://i.imgur.com/fBFKaK3.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Pgne0MG.jpg

Thanks x

From the pics it look like they are the scrotal pouches and the testes are starting to descend into them. All the fur comes off the pouches as the Buck matures

In this image the scrotal sacks of a young Buck still have some fur on them

nMA0fDu.png

Can you check your Bun's prepuce ?

bVHwNoV.jpg

Thanks everyone. I agree it does look like that first photo JJ posted, but I've had a look today and I'm pretty certain it's a girl. Also she's around 2 years old. Could she be one of those rabbits that is mixed gender?

When I picked her up today, I couldn't actually see the area at all without manoeuvring her around. So I'm thinking it could have always been like that, I just maybe picked her up a little differently previously and noticed it.

Bit of a mystery. She's behaving normally and I don't think it's a lump or anything :? x

Thanks everyone. I agree it does look like that first photo JJ posted, but I've had a look today and I'm pretty certain it's a girl. Also she's around 2 years old. Could she be one of those rabbits that is mixed gender?

When I picked her up today, I couldn't actually see the area at all without manoeuvring her around. So I'm thinking it could have always been like that, I just maybe picked her up a little differently previously and noticed it.

Bit of a mystery. She's behaving normally and I don't think it's a lump or anything :? x

Best get a Rabbit savvy Vet to take a look at her (him !!) :) Did you manage to get a look at the prepuce ?

Jane what is a prepuce? Cough, cough!

In a male it's the foreskin, in a female it's the skin surrounding the clitoris. In Rabbits you need to gently pull the prepuce back and then you can see the end of the penis/vagina. Then you can note the difference as shown here :

bVHwNoV.jpg

Glad it's not a lump :)

Hopefully the vet will shed some light when you next visit. You aren't too worried about it, are you? x

Blimey JJ :lol: not sure if I did. I'll have another check.

No, not too worried MM, as the more I look at it, the more I think it might be normal - for her - but ill be sure to ask at the vets x

Given we were also told Loki is Skye and Thor's son, I'd be wary of anything from her past life :) However, I also know that mixed gender isn't THAT uncommon and it wouldn't surprise me if she were a little bit he but not quite (not sure that's even possible?).

Given we were also told Loki is Skye and Thor's son, I'd be wary of anything from her past life :) However, I also know that mixed gender isn't THAT uncommon and it wouldn't surprise me if she were a little bit he but not quite (not sure that's even possible?).

Ha :lol: good point, I'd be amazed if the two of them made Loki!

Yeah, I've read online that it's possible, so you never know. Thanks KK, hope your well x

Blimey JJ :lol: not sure if I did. I'll have another check.

Sorry for the TMI !!

The only other thing I can think of is that she has very impacted scent glands which are irritating her and if she is licking around the area a lot she may have barboured off the fur. It's a long shot though as the two bald patches are rather symmetrical :?

Back