• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ideas for large rabbit run

Steph2790

Young Bun
Sorry if this is classed as a duplicate post but figured I’d probably ask this in the ‘housing’ section of the forum aswell as the thread about boyles pet housing whom ceased trading on Monday 14th May.

I have 4 rabbits (2 bonded pairs) living in separate Chartwell double 6ft hutches with the runs permanently attached on concrete. I originally ordered a 12ftx6ftx3ft bespoke run from boyles for the lawn so that it would have a removable separation panel down the middle effectively creating 2 6x6 foot runs for both pairs to be in alongside each other or at other times giving 1 pair the full run of the whole 12 foot run. Was also going to get two runaround tubes to attach to their runs and create free access to each side of the run during the day so that I wouldn’t have to pick them up when moving them to the large run. They aren’t overly keen on being handled so would rather avoid that stress for them. I wanted to offer the buns sand digging pits, tree trunks, hay feeders, toys and wooden furniture (ikea beds) etc inside the run to provide more enrichment for them all.

Obviously my plans have now been put on hold until I can somehow try and find another large run. I like the idea of buying 2 6ft runs and joining them in the middle with a runaround tube but had my heart set on the idea of the buns being able to zoom around the full 12ft space at times. They are such characters and love to fly around the garden at lightening speed so feel a tube in the middle would restrict a lot of that movement.

They do have free reign on the garden but have to be supervised heavily and then bought back from the neighbors garden a fair few times (cheeky monkeys) we can’t really close off the little escape ares around the garden because we get a lot of hedgehogs visit at night and we love feeding them and watching them roam the garden 🦔

Would so grateful for any advice about alternative companies and/or solutions to my rabbit run dilemma and how I can still offer the buns a large safe area to play and be bunnies 🐰

Your original plan sounds great, it might be worth contacting local joiners or shed/fencing manufactures to see if they can build you what you want.

Hi, we had a bespoke run made by Dave at https://www.ukrabbithutches.co.uk. It was a couple of years ago now, but is still going strong. Its a 12ftx6ft run, 3ft high with 4 fully clad removable roof panels. It arrived in good time and came flat packed, but was easy to put together.

We have also had runs from https://www.homeandroost.co.uk which I've found really good but more 'off the peg', I don't think they do bespoke.

(Disclaimer: Obviously after your experience with Boyle's it's right to be wary and I can only speak from my own experience with the above ;)) x

Your original plan sounds great, it might be worth contacting local joiners or shed/fencing manufactures to see if they can build you what you want.

Thank you, may try this first and get an idea of price before looking for something I’ll have to put together myself :lol:

Hi, we had a bespoke run made by Dave at https://www.ukrabbithutches.co.uk. It was a couple of years ago now, but is still going strong. Its a 12ftx6ft run, 3ft high with 4 fully clad removable roof panels. It arrived in good time and came flat packed, but was easy to put together.

We have also had runs from https://www.homeandroost.co.uk which I've found really good but more 'off the peg', I don't think they do bespoke.

(Disclaimer: Obviously after your experience with Boyle's it's right to be wary and I can only speak from my own experience with the above ;)) x

Thanks for the recommendation :thumb: those prices are really good I think. The 8ftx6ftx3ft is the largest one I can see available. Did you contact him directly for your 12ft version?

Our hutches and runs were from Home and roost and I’ve seen a 6ft folding run called the ‘Canterbury’ but it’s not even 4ft wide so is a little smaller than I’d like.

Will contact Dave and get a price for a 12ft version and see if he can put in a removable panel down the middle :)

Thanks for the recommendation :thumb: those prices are really good I think. The 8ftx6ftx3ft is the largest one I can see available. Did you contact him directly for your 12ft version?

Our hutches and runs were from Home and roost and I’ve seen a 6ft folding run called the ‘Canterbury’ but it’s not even 4ft wide so is a little smaller than I’d like.

Will contact Dave and get a price for a 12ft version and see if he can put in a removable panel down the middle :)

We have the 6ft Chartwell in Large, I think it's 6ftx8ft https://homeandroost.co.uk/product/run-6ft-chartwell/

Yes, I contacted him via text and email and described what I was after. It cost around £400 if I remember correctly, but prices may have increased since then x

The chartwell runs have a removeable panel at one end so that you can put them flush infront the hutch if you wish. I think they may be screwed but Im sure you could figure a way of making it easier to remove so that you could create a removable divider If you bought 2. You'd only have a small piece of wood in the middle of the 12ft run then which a moving bunny would easily clear. Hope this makes sense!

Where are you based? There’s a local Nottingham based joined near me who has started making bespoke stuff, Facebook little garden farm. He’s new but I’ve had a couple of bits and it’s good.

The chartwell runs have a removeable panel at one end so that you can put them flush infront the hutch if you wish. I think they may be screwed but Im sure you could figure a way of making it easier to remove so that you could create a removable divider If you bought 2. You'd only have a small piece of wood in the middle of the 12ft run then which a moving bunny would easily clear. Hope this makes sense!

Genius! Of course why didn’t I think of that lol! Two 6ftx8ft runs work out about £260 which isn’t a bad price at all. Only problem is they have no side doors which would have been nice to let them out of the run for free rein mad hour and coax them back in again but maybe I could bodge something :lol:

Where are you based? There’s a local Nottingham based joined near me who has started making bespoke stuff, Facebook little garden farm. He’s new but I’ve had a couple of bits and it’s good.

Hi :) I’m from Sutton in Ashfield, don’t have Facebook though. Do they have a website? Thank you

Ah well there’s also a Mansfield/Sutton based guy I had a run made, he advertises on Gumtree a lot. He made me a 8x6 bespoke run, very heavy! Delivered it as well and put it together for me. It only cost £160 or something. I’ll see if I can find his number.

Look on gumtree, search for dog kennel and put your area, Sutton in Ashfield. Look for Michael who is still posting and he’ll do a bespoke one, he’s a nice Guy too. You have to be really specific (size of wood, gauge of wire etc). I think he just does them on the side, but mine was really well made and as I said he delivered and put it together for me as well.

Hi,
I know this thread is a few months old but, how is little garden farm for pricing? I’m in Nottingham and have looked them up on Facebook, I’m considering of asking for a run to be made

Hi, their pricing is comparable, a 6 ft double hutch would be about £180 compared to another joiner who was going to charge £200. It’s very solid and well made so I’d get them to give you a price as he makes things to order. They have a stall now on Beeston market for smaller stuff. You can get cheap runs from home and roost but Little garden farm are bespoke and much more solid. He’s just got a van so can deliver locally. He’s made me some shelters for the run, really pleased with them.

Thanks. I have sent a message on Facebook. I’ll need something bespoke I think due to the sizing and the size of my hutch.
Thank you :)

Back