Thread: Could this be sore hocks?

Default Could this be sore hocks?

I noticed a few smudges of blood on top of one of the hides & found it to be from Millie who had a bit of blood on one of her back feet. Thereís no obvious signs of sore hocks, no thinning fur but when I separate the fur a bit the bottom of her foot possibly looks a bit red. Would there be blood from sore hocks? Lucky I saw the blood when I did because within an hour the blood had gone from the top of the hide presumably licked off by a rabbit and I would have been none the wiser as her foot doesnít look any different to normal. I did start to wonder if one of the kids has spilled some tomato sauce which Millie had stood in

Mama Doe

Could it be a torn nail? Or just red wee?

It was right at the back of her foot just where sore hocks would be so I don’t think it was a nail unless maybe her dew claw, will check that. It did cross my mind that she could have stood in wee but there isn’t any obvious red wee in the litter tray. It did puzzle me there being blood as she had a really bad injury to her front leg a few months ago and there was no blood from that. She has definitely been sent to try me these last few days as we also noticed a bald patch just behind her ears a couple of days ago, she is getting mighty fed up with me lifting her to check various body parts!

Mama Doe

It may be from a different rabbit, and she just trod in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Casco View Post
    I noticed a few smudges of blood on top of one of the hides & found it to be from Millie who had a bit of blood on one of her back feet. Thereís no obvious signs of sore hocks, no thinning fur but when I separate the fur a bit the bottom of her foot possibly looks a bit red. Would there be blood from sore hocks? Lucky I saw the blood when I did because within an hour the blood had gone from the top of the hide presumably licked off by a rabbit and I would have been none the wiser as her foot doesnít look any different to normal. I did start to wonder if one of the kids has spilled some tomato sauce which Millie had stood in

It could be from a 'nick' to the foot - possibly underneath, but what you've described doesn't sound like sore hocks to me
    Up to date and comprehensive info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...16-Sept/page14
    An extensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!

Hopefully just a cut, there’s been no sign of blood since then but I’ll keep an eye out. Just realised my stupidity above too, can’t check her dew claw as it’s her back foot doh!

Quote Originally Posted by Casco View Post
    Hopefully just a cut, thereís been no sign of blood since then but Iíll keep an eye out. Just realised my stupidity above too, canít check her dew claw as itís her back foot doh!

Hopefully nothing at all to worry about
    Up to date and comprehensive info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...16-Sept/page14
    An extensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!

Warren Veteran

Sore hocks would be pretty obvious
    Tim