• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plants and trees for nibbling

Graciee

Staff member
So is it safe to purchase a small apple tree from a garden centre for bunnies to nibble? And other bun safe plants?

Concerned about anything that was used whilst they were being grown?

Maybe I'm being over the top [emoji38] just wanted some opinions :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

It's not something that's ever concerned me and I have bought loads of plants from garden centres and nurseries, also online.

I would say go ahead and get the plants, but will be interested in other people's comments.

I didn't think about this when I bought a pear tree last year for the bunnies:oops: However if your garden centre was stocked by a local nursery as ours was, it'd be very easy for them to find out for you with a quick phone call. There must be reputable online organic tree stockists

Thanks both for your responses - I'm probably over thinking it tbh - I don't really have a local garden centre just b and q but I drove out to a massive one earlier and they were in a much rural part so maybe they have stuff grown locally or I could ask them. One of the apple trees had two different types of apples that grow on it.. Which seemed weird to me :S not sure how they make that [emoji38]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Usually if you have a look at the label on a fruit tree, it will tell you where it's been grown. I have seen fruit trees for sale in garden centres, which have been grown in The Netherlands (not saying that's a bad thing). Most garden centres will have bought trees in and not grown them themselves.

We recently bought a couple of bare-rooted apple trees from here https://walcotnursery.co.uk/product-category/apples/ and would recommend them for the quality of their trees and also their customer service.

Apple trees are grafted on to a rootstock to control their vigour. If the grower wants to have two different varieties, he just grafts two on to the rootstock instead of one. I'm not sure whether doing it like this would affect the size of crop.

Back