• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits not eating all their pellets

Hi,

We have recently moved my 8 month old rabbits to their summer home (on the grass from 7am-9pm) and I noticed that this morning they had not eaten all the pellets I had put in their run when I put them in last night (night run is on concrete). Could this be because they have eaten to much grass during the day and if so is this OK for them. Also they don't seem to be drinking as much now they are on the grass all day.

Thanks

Your rabbits will be getting more moisture from the grass, so probably need to drink less than if they are eating dry pellets or hay, although they should always have access to water. The best way of checking that they are still eating OK is to look at their poo. It should be plentiful, large, round and a regular size. If it becomes smaller or irregular in size / shape, then you need to investigate further. Rabbits should be on a diet of mainly grass or hay as this provides the fibre for healthy gut function and wears their teeth down. Otherwise, foraged greens are good. Pellets are more of a convenience food and should not be the main part of their diet. Any changes to their diet should be made gradually, though.

For advice on forage, try this booklet:
https://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/product/foraging-for-rabbits-by-twigs-way/

Thanks,

They had done the same this morning. So I'm thinking it is because they are now eating more grass (although they do have hay in their overnight hutch and run). We have only had them since November so this week has really been the first time they have been in their summer home. x

It could be moving them but I would keep an eye on them as rabbits never normally refuse their pellets.

Thanks Tonibun,

They are eating the majority of their pellets, just a few left, where as before they were on the grass all day, they would wolf them down.

Mine always eat all their pellets but I do notice them taking longer to eat them all as soon as the weather gets warmer. Don't know if this might be it with yours?

Back