Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Overgrown incisors in rabbit under one year old

  1. #1
    Alpha Buck
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    772

    Default Overgrown incisors in rabbit under one year old

    Hi,

    After eventually bonding Rose to her new rescue partner, Henry, I noticed he seems to be eating his hawthorn quite oddly.. I've just noticed today that I think his incisors are overgrown. He does not get a lot of pellets and always has access to hay. He is under a year old.

    What should the vet be suggesting for him?

    Thanks,

    Azucena

  2. #2
    Alpha Buck
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    772

    Default

    Would it be extraction?

  3. #3
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    36,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Azucena View Post
    Would it be extraction?

    It depends how bad it is. Some vets burr down incisors for a while, but in my experience it usually ends up in taking them out.

    Would you be averse to doing that? It's a big (and expensive) operation ...

  4. #4
    Alpha Buck
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    It depends how bad it is. Some vets burr down incisors for a while, but in my experience it usually ends up in taking them out.

    Would you be averse to doing that? It's a big (and expensive) operation ...
    Thanks for the reply

    I think the top ones are too long and curling under, from what I can see - although he doesn't like me checking!! I can feel it if I put pellets flat on my hand for him to eat. As he's so young (about 9 months old I think) I wonder if extraction would be better for him than who knows how many dentals. I don't give many pellets, so I wouldn't say its something diet could control.. So I'm not sure I have much choice!

  5. #5
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    36,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Azucena View Post
    Thanks for the reply

    I think the top ones are too long and curling under, from what I can see - although he doesn't like me checking!! I can feel it if I put pellets flat on my hand for him to eat. As he's so young (about 9 months old I think) I wonder if extraction would be better for him than who knows how many dentals. I don't give many pellets, so I wouldn't say its something diet could control.. So I'm not sure I have much choice!

    Welcome


    Yeah it's sad, but I've known several buns over the last few months who have had their teeth out before 6 months old. Probably genetic and nothing you could have done about it.

  6. #6
    Alpha Buck
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Welcome


    Yeah it's sad, but I've known several buns over the last few months who have had their teeth out before 6 months old. Probably genetic and nothing you could have done about it.
    Thank you. It's reassuring to know he's not the youngest with dodgy teeth! He's off to the specialist tomorrow morning.

  7. #7
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    IOW
    Posts
    13,816

    Default

    I've had a couple of rabbits who have had their Incisors out and they have been fine.

  8. #8
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    9,305

    Default

    I hope Henry's appointment goes well tomorrow

  9. #9
    Mama Doe
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,734

    Default

    My rabbit had hers out in Jan and has been fine. She kept having them Burren but it was too often so decided on removal

  10. #10
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    36,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Azucena View Post
    Thank you. It's reassuring to know he's not the youngest with dodgy teeth! He's off to the specialist tomorrow morning.

    Not at all the youngest

    I hope all goes well at your appointment tomorrow

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •