• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unbonded and fighting

Hi all

I really need advice please.

I have an 18 month spayed female Lily, and a 6 year old neutered male Aaron. Both rescued and both up to date for Myxomatosis, RHD and RHD2.

They have been bonded and happy for 8 months. I did the bonding myself last September.

But they have started fighting - badly.

They were vet checked last week and she could find nothing wrong to explain the aggression. There had been no changes to their housing or predator invasion.

They are now separated and each have a run and own hutch side by side - they can see each other.

I fear re-bonding may not be possible as they had such a bad fight with damage to Aaron’s ears.

But I really want to try to get them to fall in love again if possible.

I can’t move them apart as no space, but should I make it so they cant see one another for a while? They appear aggressive when they get close to each other despite the wire barrier.

If anyone has a step-by-step plan for re-bonding I would really love to hear from you.

Thank you

Last edited:
What a shame! I don't really have any advice as to how to get them back together but showing aggression through the wire is not going to help and the best thing for now is to put them apart. Do you think it was the female who was starting the fight? Some Does get broody at this time of the year, even when they are spayed but don't normally attack the male!

Thank you so much for your reply. At first I thought it was the female starting the fights as he had the scratched/bitten ears. But now I’m not so sure having seen his attitude towards her through the wire ie. tail up and “digging” as though trying to get through to her. Am at a loss. And so disappointed as it took me a long time to find them (long story). Oh well, I guess I’ll just have to wait and see what happens.
Thank you again for replying.
Jane

Hi there.

I'm really sorry to read that your bunnies have fallen out [emoji17]

I went through a similar experience with my two a couple of years ago. They had been happily bonded for about three months and then for no reason started fighting. No idea what caused it or who started it as it all suddenly kicked off very early one morning!

I did manage to successfully rebond them but it was tough going. First off I kept them completely separate for a couple of days to give them time to cool off. They're free range so I divided my flat in half with a barrier made of puppy panels. I covered the panels so they couldn't see or aggravate each other through the bars.

I then did a rebond from scratch. I used the kitchen and scrubbed the floors with a white vinegar solution to neutralise it. The first night was bad. They kept going for each other and I was constantly breaking up fights. It was more like an exorcism than a bonding!

They eventually calmed down late the next morning and the fighting stopped. There was still palpable tension between the two. Over the next few days the bond slowly restrengthened and over the next couple of weeks I slowly extended their space until they had full free range again.

They are fully rebonded so it is possible to repair a bond after a fight. I went for the fast bonding method when I did the rebond, i.e. just kept them together all the time until they sorted themselves out. That might not necessarily work for all bunnies so the slow bond method might be better.

Good luck, I hope you're able to get your bunnies to be friends again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s great that you were able to re-bond your pair. Gives me hope!

I’ll take your advice and maybe place a solid barrier between them for a few days so they have as complete a break as possible from each other.

I just read an article that also says that the hormones at this time of year are strong even in neutered buns and that any relationship breakdown is normally temporary if that’s the reason. I’m doubtful but worth a try to re-bond.

I’ll let you know how I get on!

Thank you again

My Millie and Toby fell out for three months and they ended up back in love. I kept them living side by side for the three months. I don't know what triggered the fall out either

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Back