• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Checking bunny’s back end

Clare_Bear

New Kit
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on checking my (very wriggly!) Netherland Dwarf’s back end.
I’ve watched quite a few YouTube videos of people checking this area on a rabbit but when I try to get Dobby into a similar position, he kicks a lot and tries to get away. I’m really worried he’s going to hurt himself if I keep trying, but it seems like something I need to be able to check, particularly with the warmer weather starting.

I don’t have any reason to believe he’s having problems with any sticky poos right now but I’d like to be able to keep an eye on the area to make sure fly strike doesn’t become an issue.

If anyone has any advice on getting a look at his back end and what exactly I need to be watching out for, I’d really appreciate it. I’m still a fairly new bunny parent, so I’m still learning!

Some rabbits are rather awkward aren't they! How if you had something tasty in one hand and while he is nibbling at that just lift his tail up and you should be able get a reasonable view.

Thanks so much, I’ve just tried this and think I had some success!
Sorry to be a little graphic/TMI but if there was any poo sticking to his bum or any sign of flystrike, would it be very obvious?
I’m not sure what it should feel/look like under there or if I need to be separating his fur to check there too? When I lifted his tail this evening, I could see a little pink/red nub and everything else was white - I’m guessing the little nub is his anus?

Sorry again to be a bit graphic - I’ve never done this before and I’d just like to make sure I’m doing it right!

Back