• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone have an angora cross living outdoors?

Casco

Mama Doe
I am considering moving my rabbits outdoors but the main thing stopping me (apart from the kids being dead set against the idea!) is my angora cross bunny. I prefer to keep his fur trimmed short as it’s so much easier to maintain that way but I’m assuming in the winter I can’t do that if he’s living outdoors. Does anyone have angora crosses or angoras living outdoors and is it any more difficult to deal with their fur when they are outdoors? At the moment I have to take him to my utility room to groom him as I haven’t found a way of keeping him still enough to do it when he’s in his own environment, he’s not particularly keen on grooming. If he was outdoors I would probably still have to do the same which isn’t ideal in winter if I have to carry him across the garden in all weathers.

Yes, we do :)

I like to keep our Buffys fur a little shorter to keep it manageable, but she still has way more than the average bunny :), so I don't worry about her in that sense. Also she lives in a cosy shed (with run access) with her husbun Theo.

Tbh I often bring her inside for grooming as it's easier. I don't think taking your bun into your utility should be a problem, but maybe you could pop him in a carrier if your concerned about transporting him across the garden :) x

Ah that’s good to know, I was thinking he’d be too cold with his fur trimmed. He does still have a good covering of soft and fluffy fur! Would def use a carrier to bring him in for grooming especially on the really wet nights, don’t want his fur to get wet which actually might be another issue if he sits out in the run in the rain. I might try them outdoors to see how it goes over the summer.

I kept my cashmires out side in covered aviaries for years with no problems. You do have to watch out for their feet getting extra mucky. I trimmed the length of their coats and round their back ends above the tails a bit to help them stay untangled but I didn't take off their top coats as like you I was concerned about them getting cold or wet. The undercoat isn't water proof at all the way the top coat partly is. I think the top coat helps them regulate their temperature.

Back