• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bun-suitable garden shrubs and plants

Beapig

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

I'm hugely extending Ham and Bea's outdoor pen (so it's all big and lovely for when Plumpkin is well enough to live with them!) - right now it's just lawn but I want to plant shrubs, bushes and other plants that they can play in and lie under for shade.

Can anyone recommend plants that aren't poisonous to bunnies, but also that they won't eat in 5 seconds? I'm keen on having some large shrubs to give height to the space that they can play under and hide in.

There will be a gate with a metal arch into the run, so I'd also like to grow a climber over the arch which is once again bunny friendly.

Any suggestions very welcome! :)

Climbing rose would be good for the arch - or courgettes, sweet peas, runner beans (I'm stealing this info from the wonderful Twigsway book gardening for rabbits)

Hi everyone,

I'm hugely extending Ham and Bea's outdoor pen (so it's all big and lovely for when Plumpkin is well enough to live with them!) - right now it's just lawn but I want to plant shrubs, bushes and other plants that they can play in and lie under for shade.

Can anyone recommend plants that aren't poisonous to bunnies, but also that they won't eat in 5 seconds? I'm keen on having some large shrubs to give height to the space that they can play under and hide in.

There will be a gate with a metal arch into the run, so I'd also like to grow a climber over the arch which is once again bunny friendly.

Any suggestions very welcome! :)

:wave:

I would recommend this book:

https://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/product/gardening-for-rabbits-by-twigs-way/

Some suggestions for bun-friendly bushes which can be eaten (and will recover from nibbling once mature):
lilac
buddleia
black / red / white currant

Okay MM, I've finally bitten the bullet and ordered Gardening for Rabbits and Foraging for Rabbits :D So excited to receive them!

Thank you Joey&Boo and Shimmer for your suggestions, my neighbour's buddleia is out right now and it looks incredible, so I think I'll be starting there :)

Okay MM, I've finally bitten the bullet and ordered Gardening for Rabbits and Foraging for Rabbits :D So excited to receive them!

Thank you Joey&Boo and Shimmer for your suggestions, my neighbour's buddleia is out right now and it looks incredible, so I think I'll be starting there :)

Yay - very useful little books :)

Buddleia should be coming along well now. Calendulas are good and tasty, and geraniums :D

One of my buns has fair eaten the tops of all my fennel :roll:

Back