Thread: Bun-suitable garden shrubs and plants

Warren Scout

Default Bun-suitable garden shrubs and plants

Hi everyone,

I'm hugely extending Ham and Bea's outdoor pen (so it's all big and lovely for when Plumpkin is well enough to live with them!) - right now it's just lawn but I want to plant shrubs, bushes and other plants that they can play in and lie under for shade.

Can anyone recommend plants that aren't poisonous to bunnies, but also that they won't eat in 5 seconds? I'm keen on having some large shrubs to give height to the space that they can play under and hide in.

There will be a gate with a metal arch into the run, so I'd also like to grow a climber over the arch which is once again bunny friendly.

Any suggestions very welcome!

Climbing rose would be good for the arch - or courgettes, sweet peas, runner beans (I'm stealing this info from the wonderful Twigsway book gardening for rabbits)

Quote Originally Posted by Beapig View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm hugely extending Ham and Bea's outdoor pen (so it's all big and lovely for when Plumpkin is well enough to live with them!) - right now it's just lawn but I want to plant shrubs, bushes and other plants that they can play in and lie under for shade.

Can anyone recommend plants that aren't poisonous to bunnies, but also that they won't eat in 5 seconds? I'm keen on having some large shrubs to give height to the space that they can play under and hide in.

There will be a gate with a metal arch into the run, so I'd also like to grow a climber over the arch which is once again bunny friendly.

Any suggestions very welcome!

I would recommend this book:

https://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pro...-by-twigs-way/
    Reliable and up to date info on RHD2:
    An extensive and comprehensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...RHD2-July-2018

Mama Doe

Some suggestions for bun-friendly bushes which can be eaten (and will recover from nibbling once mature):
    lilac
    buddleia
    black / red / white currant

Warren Scout

Okay MM, I've finally bitten the bullet and ordered Gardening for Rabbits and Foraging for Rabbits So excited to receive them!

Thank you Joey&Boo and Shimmer for your suggestions, my neighbour's buddleia is out right now and it looks incredible, so I think I'll be starting there

Quote Originally Posted by Beapig View Post
    Okay MM, I've finally bitten the bullet and ordered Gardening for Rabbits and Foraging for Rabbits So excited to receive them!

Thank you Joey&Boo and Shimmer for your suggestions, my neighbour's buddleia is out right now and it looks incredible, so I think I'll be starting there

Yay - very useful little books

Buddleia should be coming along well now. Calendulas are good and tasty, and geraniums

One of my buns has fair eaten the tops of all my fennel
    Reliable and up to date info on RHD2:
    An extensive and comprehensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...RHD2-July-2018