• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Update and question.

Hey everyone. Been a while but me and Baxter are doing well. His neuter was delayed slightly as my elderly female dog had to be unexpectedly spayed a month ago and I've been busy with her. She is thankfully 100% back to normal and now Baxter is off for his op on Monday.

We have a new addition. His future lady friend, Beatrix. She is only 8 weeks old and is just settling in.

I'm wondering whether to try bonding them when Baxter has had his op and is safe to be with her but she will only be 4 months old and won't have been spayed. Is it best to wait till she is done?

Thanks.

They can live together if they are happy with it. You will need to give Baxter time for his hormones to decrease then see how they get on. She is still very young of course but it can work.

I have recently bonded my neutered 7+ year old buck to an unspayed 4 month old doe. The rescue advised me that unspayed young does, who are not yet sexually mature, are generally accepted very well by older bucks, possibly because they are not seen as a threat. This was certainly the case here. They bonded very easily and have been together now for about 6 weeks and are extremely close. I will be having her spayed in a couple of weeks time. I will take my buck with her for her op and hope that by doing that their bond will remain intact.

Hey everyone. Been a while but me and Baxter are doing well. His neuter was delayed slightly as my elderly female dog had to be unexpectedly spayed a month ago and I've been busy with her. She is thankfully 100% back to normal and now Baxter is off for his op on Monday.

We have a new addition. His future lady friend, Beatrix. She is only 8 weeks old and is just settling in.

I'm wondering whether to try bonding them when Baxter has had his op and is safe to be with her but she will only be 4 months old and won't have been spayed. Is it best to wait till she is done?

Thanks.

Not necessarily - after Baxter is neutered you have to wait 6 weeks (max) as I'm sure you already know, and then you could try them together.

Hi,

I had the same problem a few months ago and after some research and speaking to my vets I was advised that obviously all rabbits can be very slightly different, so to not try and bond a young female with an whole male (not neutered) as sometimes young females will get pregnant, but as they are so young it would likely be a very difficult birth resulting in the death of mother and babies. I personally wouldn't risk it, so my advise to you is to wait until Baxter has been neutered and healed before introducing them, this has the least risk to your female.

Once you get to bonding them, males bond well with females as long as their personalities match I am sure you'll have no problems. There is a lot of information on this forum about bonding. I've bonded groups of 6 before and with time and patience its not hard.

I hope this helps :)

Hi,

I had the same problem a few months ago and after some research and speaking to my vets I was advised that obviously all rabbits can be very slightly different, so to not try and bond a young female with an whole male (not neutered) as sometimes young females will get pregnant, but as they are so young it would likely be a very difficult birth resulting in the death of mother and babies. I personally wouldn't risk it, so my advise to you is to wait until Baxter has been neutered and healed before introducing them, this has the least risk to your female.

Once you get to bonding them, males bond well with females as long as their personalities match I am sure you'll have no problems. There is a lot of information on this forum about bonding. I've bonded groups of 6 before and with time and patience its not hard.

I hope this helps :)

There was no suggestion that an entire buck and doe would be bonded, just a neutered buck to an unspayed doe once he had reached 6 weeks post op.

Back