Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Scanning

  1. #1
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    13,380

    Default Scanning

    I've noticed that Tui is occasionally scanning. I'm assuming that this is due to being a REW and is an indication that she has poor eyesight. I am not overly concerned by this as she seems to very easily compensate for any deficiency in her eyesight. She certainly is able to identify what's going on at an earlier stage than Tethra, especially where food is concerned

    I would like to understand how this is caused. I guess it's an effect of albinism? Could anyone recommend any links to sites where we can read about the science of this, please?
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

  2. #2
    Forum Buddy Zoobec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    27,052

    Default

    Canít help with links etc, but my bridge bun Boots was a REW and would scan, particularly if he was in new surroundings or if anything was moved around. As you say, it didnít seem to affect him adversely at all, and I think his sense of smell was much better than any other rabbits Iíve had. He could smell a banana being peeled 2 rooms away

    Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

  3. #3
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    135,956

    Default

    Elsa scans too.

    Scroll down to 'Albinism, eyes and scanning' on here :

    http://www.vgr1.com/vision/



    Myxomatosis , RHD1 & RHD2 - Vaccinations are ESSENTIAL to protect your Rabbit(s)
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...rum-Moderator)

    Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund (RWAF)~ Britains Biggest and Best Organisation for Everyone who Loves Rabbits
    https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

    Reference links for various Rabbit Health problems :
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...99#post7048099

  4. #4
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    13,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoobec View Post
    Canít help with links etc, but my bridge bun Boots was a REW and would scan, particularly if he was in new surroundings or if anything was moved around. As you say, it didnít seem to affect him adversely at all, and I think his sense of smell was much better than any other rabbits Iíve had. He could smell a banana being peeled 2 rooms away
    It's quite weird to watch isn't it I'm assuming that it's not something that will get worse in time, as I think it's caused by a deficiency due to albinism (which is why we'd like to understand how it's happening).
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

  5. #5
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    13,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Elsa scans too.

    Scroll down to 'Albinism, eyes and scanning' on here :

    http://www.vgr1.com/vision/
    Thanks, Jane, that's brilliant Looks like a lot of other interesting information there too, which I'll read carefully.
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

  6. #6
    Forum Buddy Zoobec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    27,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    It's quite weird to watch isn't it I'm assuming that it's not something that will get worse in time, as I think it's caused by a deficiency due to albinism (which is why we'd like to understand how it's happening).
    It is weird, yes. No, he never got worse, he hated anything being changed around in his room so once we realised, we would make sure to keep it exactly the same for him.

    Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •