• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introductions, Like to Like?

Stacey

Young Bun
Hi,

Im new here and was looking for a little advice on introducing my male rabbit to a new female. I have looked past on all the previous posts here and have got loads of info and pointers on how to do it and all the possible problems and pit falls which was great. Were still not 100 percent sure if we are going to do it at the moment but I thought it would still be best to get some help and advice just in case :D

Barney is a nine month old rex rabbit who is neutered. He lives in the house in a large indoor cage and has the run of the front room and downstairs when we are home. I wanted to try and find him a partner to help keep him company when we are at work or out, but wasnt sure on which breed to introduce him with.

It doesnt have to be another rex does it? And also I guess an older bunny nearer to his own age would be better then a younger one? I want to get a female as oppposed to another male as they would be less likely to fight (well, thats the plan anyway! :roll: ) So she would have to be at least 4 or 5 months to have her spayed wouldnt she.

The last question, I promise its the last one, for this post anyway! :D The only interaction and experiences I have had with female rabbits are evil ones! I know spaying is no gurantee of stopping this behaviour, but it should help to calm her down and make her nicer shouldnt it?

Thanks in advance, I just dont want to get another bun and then for Barney to be miserable when he may have been doing just fine on his own!

Stacey x

Hiya,

A female rabbit would certainly be the easiest option to pair with a male. Females have to be 6 months old for spaying. If you adopt a rescue rabbit you may well be able to find one that is already spayed.

The benefit of adopting a rabbit around your current buns age or older is that you will be able to see the personality. Most babies are cute and cuddly its when the hormones hit they can turn into little terrors ;) So with an adult bun you can tell the personality its not guess work. Generally spaying helps calm bunnies down and helps with aggression its not a guarentee though.

It doesn't have to be another rex, you can have any breed you like :D Did you have something in mind?

Tam

You could take Barney along to a rehoming centre to meet his prospective partner. At least that way you will be able to tell whether they will get along. I have bonded an unspayed female to a neutered male without too many problems. I would say you would be able to bond anything up to age 2 with him. Females can be hormonal and temperamental but they can be cuddle buns too.
Tracy at RNGP Welfare in Rugby has a gorgeous dark agouti female in at the moment who is gorgeous and is really friendly. I met her when I collected my two additions on Saturday.

Good luck.

Tamsin: I know what you mean about hormones and making them little terrors! :roll: I would prefer an older female nearer to Barneys age, I just thought I would ask as my friend has a young dalmation rex doe which he is trying to rehome, she would only be a baby when we got her and I would be a bit worried about the difference between her and Barney. He is quiet a hefty rabbit so I would want to give the new arival a fighting chance

I would really love a French lop. I had them growing up and the two brothers I had (living in seperate cages) were so soppy. I would just be worried about getting a female and her turning out to be a bit nasty and making poor Barneys life a bit miserable. I guess I am just nervous about changing something which already seems to work ok on the off chance it might make him a bit happier.

Towsbuns: The idea of taking him to a rescue centre to meet his new partner does sound like a good idea. I may go down over the weekend and see if they have any females there for adoption. If not then I can always take my time and look out for a female about the right sort of age.

Hi there
I don't have any experience to go on. only what i've read too! but i'm v interested on the advice given and would love to know how you get on.

I think IF I let Jack have a girlie then I would definitely visit a rescue and look at a spayed female with the right sort of temperament and personality to suit our set up. Then i'd take Jack there to see how they reacted to each other. I've also read that just because i've taken a shine to one, doesn't necessarily mean he'll agree with me! so i guess IF i do go down this road then i'll have to keep a very open mind to his choice of woman!

Good luck in your search and reaching a decision.

Jluie

Aww go on, the only thing better than one bunny is a cute bunny couple. :)

We didn't take Branwen along on any boyfriend huting trips. She hates cars so it would have been too stressful for all concerned. I was sure that the right rabbit would make himself apparent and that proved true.
Of course they did have a bit of a fight (Branwen didn't fancy sharing her slave!) but turned out to be a very easy bond.

Any breeds can be paired, and those of similar ages do make better pairs.

Good luck :)

Back