Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone experience of a rabbit with a blood glucose reading of as low as 1.5?

Wise Old Thumper

I am very sorry you have lost your precious Dinky.

Wise Old Thumper

I'm sorry for your loss. xx

Thanks everybody, your support is much appreciated.

Dinky suddenly had some very distressing neurological symptoms today. On Friday she had appeared confused and disorientated, today she was agitated and panicky, very distressed and tooth grinding. I had a nightmare scenario deciding which vet to get her to in the circumstances. It was heartbreaking seeing my gentle girl so distressed.

By late afternoon it was decided that treatment was unlikely to help her and with her level of distress she was that it just wasn't fair on her. Fortunately by the time I got back to the vets she was actually very calm, as if she had been sedated, she didn't really seem aware of her surroundings. So, although she had a very unpleasant last day of life, her passing thankfully was very peaceful, she passed curled up on my lap, how she had spent many hours of her life, in happier times.

A PM has been carried out by an expert, who couldn't find anything of any great significance in her abdominal organs. There's nothing remarkable about her pancreas apart from a tiny nodule, which ahs been sent to histology along with other tissues (she has participated in the Sudden or Unexpected Death project). I was also reassured that she doesn't seem to have had any damage from EC - her kidneys looked fine. EC was being suggested this morning.

I didn't have an invasive PM so answers may have been found and a brain tumour has been suggested as the most likely cause. I didn't want to put her through that so we just have to guess on that but the possible scenario is that she just wasn't eating as she should as the brain tumour was disrupting the normal message. So J&B and myself thinking low blood glucose was down to not eating enough could have been right. The fact that it had increased to 2.6 today could again point to that. "She was thin" was another observation. So, my greedy girl has something that caused her to stop eating ... but we aren't sure what. Histology will be back in a week or so, there may be more clues then.
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13)

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I hope an answer can be found for you as to why Dinky couldn't recover. Whatever the cause, I know you did your very best by her. (((((((Huge hugs))))))))

Sleep well and sweet dreams, Dinky. xxxxx

I'm so very sorry BB Binky free Dinky xxx

I'm so so sorry, sending hugs and love xx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Wise Old Thumper Barn Yard Bunnies's Avatar

How really really sad. Hugs xxx

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Buddy View Post
    Thanks everybody, your support is much appreciated.

Dinky suddenly had some very distressing neurological symptoms today. On Friday she had appeared confused and disorientated, today she was agitated and panicky, very distressed and tooth grinding. I had a nightmare scenario deciding which vet to get her to in the circumstances. It was heartbreaking seeing my gentle girl so distressed.

By late afternoon it was decided that treatment was unlikely to help her and with her level of distress she was that it just wasn't fair on her. Fortunately by the time I got back to the vets she was actually very calm, as if she had been sedated, she didn't really seem aware of her surroundings. So, although she had a very unpleasant last day of life, her passing thankfully was very peaceful, she passed curled up on my lap, how she had spent many hours of her life, in happier times.

A PM has been carried out by an expert, who couldn't find anything of any great significance in her abdominal organs. There's nothing remarkable about her pancreas apart from a tiny nodule, which ahs been sent to histology along with other tissues (she has participated in the Sudden or Unexpected Death project). I was also reassured that she doesn't seem to have had any damage from EC - her kidneys looked fine. EC was being suggested this morning.

I didn't have an invasive PM so answers may have been found and a brain tumour has been suggested as the most likely cause. I didn't want to put her through that so we just have to guess on that but the possible scenario is that she just wasn't eating as she should as the brain tumour was disrupting the normal message. So J&B and myself thinking low blood glucose was down to not eating enough could have been right. The fact that it had increased to 2.6 today could again point to that. "She was thin" was another observation. So, my greedy girl has something that caused her to stop eating ... but we aren't sure what. Histology will be back in a week or so, there may be more clues then.
    I hope that the path' lab results will give you some answers. I know that nothing can make the grief you are feeling any less awful, but I usually find that knowing why a Bunny died stops me from going over and over a million 'what ifs'.

I expect you feel that 2018 can just do one, it has certainly not been a good year for you thus far.

Take care xx

Twickenham Veterinary Surgery- A Rabbit Savvy small animal Veterinary Practice in SW London
    https://www.twickenhamvets.com/

Keep up to date with the RHD2 situation in the UK. This highly respected Facebook page provides accurate and up-to-date information. Both the RWAF and some Rabbit Savvy Vets contribute to the page
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1744958082388756/

I am off automatic pilot now and very much aware of what I have lost. Feeding rounds are just so difficult.. and walking past dandelions without picking some for her .. there's a patch of sun by the door that is no longer occupied by her. What's the point of sunshine when there's no Dinky?

I am preparing myself for a trip to the cremation this evening. This time last week I had no idea how precious my time with her would be.
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13)

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Buddy View Post
    I am off automatic pilot now and very much aware of what I have lost. Feeding rounds are just so difficult.. and walking past dandelions without picking some for her .. there's a patch of sun by the door that is no longer occupied by her. What's the point of sunshine when there's no Dinky?

I am preparing myself for a trip to the cremation this evening. This time last week I had no idea how precious my time with her would be.
    Words fail me....................

(((((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))))))))) xx

Twickenham Veterinary Surgery- A Rabbit Savvy small animal Veterinary Practice in SW London
    https://www.twickenhamvets.com/

Keep up to date with the RHD2 situation in the UK. This highly respected Facebook page provides accurate and up-to-date information. Both the RWAF and some Rabbit Savvy Vets contribute to the page
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1744958082388756/