• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Has anyone experience of a rabbit with a blood glucose reading of as low as 1.5?

Thanks everybody, your support is much appreciated.

Dinky suddenly had some very distressing neurological symptoms today. On Friday she had appeared confused and disorientated, today she was agitated and panicky, very distressed and tooth grinding. I had a nightmare scenario deciding which vet to get her to in the circumstances. It was heartbreaking seeing my gentle girl so distressed.

By late afternoon it was decided that treatment was unlikely to help her and with her level of distress she was that it just wasn't fair on her. Fortunately by the time I got back to the vets she was actually very calm, as if she had been sedated, she didn't really seem aware of her surroundings. So, although she had a very unpleasant last day of life, her passing thankfully was very peaceful, she passed curled up on my lap, how she had spent many hours of her life, in happier times.

A PM has been carried out by an expert, who couldn't find anything of any great significance in her abdominal organs. There's nothing remarkable about her pancreas apart from a tiny nodule, which ahs been sent to histology along with other tissues (she has participated in the Sudden or Unexpected Death project). I was also reassured that she doesn't seem to have had any damage from EC - her kidneys looked fine. EC was being suggested this morning.

I didn't have an invasive PM so answers may have been found and a brain tumour has been suggested as the most likely cause. I didn't want to put her through that so we just have to guess on that but the possible scenario is that she just wasn't eating as she should as the brain tumour was disrupting the normal message. So J&B and myself thinking low blood glucose was down to not eating enough could have been right. The fact that it had increased to 2.6 today could again point to that. "She was thin" was another observation. So, my greedy girl has something that caused her to stop eating ... but we aren't sure what. Histology will be back in a week or so, there may be more clues then.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. :cry: I hope an answer can be found for you as to why Dinky couldn't recover. Whatever the cause, I know you did your very best by her. (((((((Huge hugs))))))))

Sleep well and sweet dreams, Dinky. xxxxx

Thanks everybody, your support is much appreciated.

Dinky suddenly had some very distressing neurological symptoms today. On Friday she had appeared confused and disorientated, today she was agitated and panicky, very distressed and tooth grinding. I had a nightmare scenario deciding which vet to get her to in the circumstances. It was heartbreaking seeing my gentle girl so distressed.

By late afternoon it was decided that treatment was unlikely to help her and with her level of distress she was that it just wasn't fair on her. Fortunately by the time I got back to the vets she was actually very calm, as if she had been sedated, she didn't really seem aware of her surroundings. So, although she had a very unpleasant last day of life, her passing thankfully was very peaceful, she passed curled up on my lap, how she had spent many hours of her life, in happier times.

A PM has been carried out by an expert, who couldn't find anything of any great significance in her abdominal organs. There's nothing remarkable about her pancreas apart from a tiny nodule, which ahs been sent to histology along with other tissues (she has participated in the Sudden or Unexpected Death project). I was also reassured that she doesn't seem to have had any damage from EC - her kidneys looked fine. EC was being suggested this morning.

I didn't have an invasive PM so answers may have been found and a brain tumour has been suggested as the most likely cause. I didn't want to put her through that so we just have to guess on that but the possible scenario is that she just wasn't eating as she should as the brain tumour was disrupting the normal message. So J&B and myself thinking low blood glucose was down to not eating enough could have been right. The fact that it had increased to 2.6 today could again point to that. "She was thin" was another observation. So, my greedy girl has something that caused her to stop eating ... but we aren't sure what. Histology will be back in a week or so, there may be more clues then.

I hope that the path' lab results will give you some answers. I know that nothing can make the grief you are feeling any less awful, but I usually find that knowing why a Bunny died stops me from going over and over a million 'what ifs'.

I expect you feel that 2018 can just do one, it has certainly not been a good year for you thus far.

Take care xx

I am off automatic pilot now and very much aware of what I have lost. Feeding rounds are just so difficult.. and walking past dandelions without picking some for her .. there's a patch of sun by the door that is no longer occupied by her. What's the point of sunshine when there's no Dinky?

I am preparing myself for a trip to the cremation this evening. This time last week I had no idea how precious my time with her would be.

I am off automatic pilot now and very much aware of what I have lost. Feeding rounds are just so difficult.. and walking past dandelions without picking some for her .. there's a patch of sun by the door that is no longer occupied by her. What's the point of sunshine when there's no Dinky?

I am preparing myself for a trip to the cremation this evening. This time last week I had no idea how precious my time with her would be.

Words fail me....................

(((((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))))))))) xx

Thank you all for the emotional support.

This time last week I was doing a desperate ring trying to get a fitting Dinky to see a vet as quickly as possible. For OOH my first choice is 45 minutes away, the idea of taking a thrashing, panicking, tooth grinding rabbit in such a poorly state on that journey (with a vet I didn't know and newly qualified) didn't seem a great option.. Plan B is still half an hour away .. I rang and found out the OOH vet is one who is allergic to rabbits so doesn't see very many (avoids as much as possible). Plan c is a practice I really didn't want to use but I thought we are probably talking PTS, she was in such a desperate state, my heart was breaking. I call the OOH number and hear a message saying they aren't doing their own OOH on Sunday any more and to travel to Harrogate .. a practice only 3-4 minutes less journey than my usual Plan A practice... so at 10.50 last week, I had the awful task of loading a blind, fitting rabbit into a carrier for a 45 minute journey. Fate was very cruel to us that day. Not something I am going to forget any time soon. :cry:

Last edited:
Back