Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Musli conversion

  1. #1
    Alpha Buck Truffpuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Greens Norton
    Posts
    703

    Default Musli conversion

    Hi everyone,

    Asking for a friend......no really lol!

    Her bunny is 3 years old and has always had musli, I have advised she needs to swap this for pellets because, well we all know about musli.

    Her bunny as shown with every other musli bun, picks the bits she wants and leaves the rest which always includes the bits of pellet they do have in. Sheís tried to switch her and introduce pellets but her bunny (willow) just has a complete meltdown throws the food on the floor and just picks out the musli.

    There isnít much info I could find about how to convert bunnies besides slow introduction until the ratio is just pellets, or if the bunny is a good hay eater you can wait it out until they decide to eat pellets.
    I wondered if anyone had experience or advice because sheís getting over weight and my friend was messaging for advice because her bunnies butt was poopy which again could be musli related (or the cabbage she gave yesterday).

    Apparently she had pellets as a baby, but I guess itís like giving a teenager just sweets, why would they want broccoli instead lol!

    Thanks :-)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    IOW
    Posts
    14,892

    Default

    I have had to convert to Nuggets as Wagg stopped the Muesli and the Chudley's had lots of tiny bits in it. This is after 20 years with no problems. The main problem is the quantity people give otherwise the rabbit would eat it all up. The best way is to keep mixing a few Nuggets in with the Muesli and only feed about a tablespoon. If her rabbit is overweight it will take quite a long time for bunny to become hungry enough to start eating Pellets, possibly up to 3 months. Also veg like Cabbage is Carbohydrate so could give bun a sticky bum. Does your friend know of the risk of Flystrike?

  3. #3
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    10,515

    Default

    If this were my bunny I'd not worry about a conversion. As bunny is fat a hay only diet won't hurt, she can throw in a few foraged leaves for interest / low calories nutrition (or just keep the cabbage ) . A poopy butt will be down to bunny not wanting to eat cecos as there is too much tasty stuff on offer (muesli) or too fat (can't reach them), Time for some tough love me thinks

  4. #4
    Alpha Buck Truffpuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Greens Norton
    Posts
    703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    I have had to convert to Nuggets as Wagg stopped the Muesli and the Chudley's had lots of tiny bits in it. This is after 20 years with no problems. The main problem is the quantity people give otherwise the rabbit would eat it all up. The best way is to keep mixing a few Nuggets in with the Muesli and only feed about a tablespoon. If her rabbit is overweight it will take quite a long time for bunny to become hungry enough to start eating Pellets, possibly up to 3 months. Also veg like Cabbage is Carbohydrate so could give bun a sticky bum. Does your friend know of the risk of Flystrike?
    Hi tonibun thanks for your reply :-)
    Oh thatís really interesting, I hadnít thought about it taking her longer to be hungry enough to eat the pellets.

    Yeah I had a feeling the cabbage might have been the root of the sticky butt maybe, mine are fine eating it but I guess everybun is different.

    Thank you x


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Alpha Buck Truffpuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Greens Norton
    Posts
    703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    If this were my bunny I'd not worry about a conversion. As bunny is fat a hay only diet won't hurt, she can throw in a few foraged leaves for interest / low calories nutrition (or just keep the cabbage ) . A poopy butt will be down to bunny not wanting to eat cecos as there is too much tasty stuff on offer (muesli) or too fat (can't reach them), Time for some tough love me thinks
    Oh ok, thatís a really good idea. I did wonder if itís ok to go with neither and just hay.
    Ahh thatís a good shout, I said to her it might be because of being tubby and having a dewlap maybe itís hard for her to get to her butt.
    Yeah i will pass that all along thank you, I think sometimes tough love is needed for the greater good, I mean the bun is only 3 so sheís going to be around years yet!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    IOW
    Posts
    14,892

    Default

    The only problem with stopping the Muesli is if bunny doesn't eat hay, she will kind of starve, and this affects the liver, so I would carry on giving her a smaller amount.

  7. #7
    Alpha Buck Truffpuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Greens Norton
    Posts
    703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    The only problem with stopping the Muesli is if bunny doesn't eat hay, she will kind of starve, and this affects the liver, so I would carry on giving her a smaller amount.
    Oh ok I see. Iíll pass this all on and hopefully she can get Willow sorted. Maybe scattering a small amount would slow her from stuffing it and also give her something to do too.
    Thank you


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •