• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Musli conversion

Truffpuff

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

Asking for a friend......no really lol!

Her bunny is 3 years old and has always had musli, I have advised she needs to swap this for pellets because, well we all know about musli.

Her bunny as shown with every other musli bun, picks the bits she wants and leaves the rest which always includes the bits of pellet they do have in. She’s tried to switch her and introduce pellets but her bunny (willow) just has a complete meltdown throws the food on the floor and just picks out the musli.

There isn’t much info I could find about how to convert bunnies besides slow introduction until the ratio is just pellets, or if the bunny is a good hay eater you can wait it out until they decide to eat pellets.
I wondered if anyone had experience or advice because she’s getting over weight and my friend was messaging for advice because her bunnies butt was poopy which again could be musli related (or the cabbage she gave yesterday).

Apparently she had pellets as a baby, but I guess it’s like giving a teenager just sweets, why would they want broccoli instead lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had to convert to Nuggets as Wagg stopped the Muesli and the Chudley's had lots of tiny bits in it. This is after 20 years with no problems. The main problem is the quantity people give otherwise the rabbit would eat it all up. The best way is to keep mixing a few Nuggets in with the Muesli and only feed about a tablespoon. If her rabbit is overweight it will take quite a long time for bunny to become hungry enough to start eating Pellets, possibly up to 3 months. Also veg like Cabbage is Carbohydrate so could give bun a sticky bum. Does your friend know of the risk of Flystrike?

If this were my bunny I'd not worry about a conversion. As bunny is fat a hay only diet won't hurt, she can throw in a few foraged leaves for interest / low calories nutrition (or just keep the cabbage ) . A poopy butt will be down to bunny not wanting to eat cecos as there is too much tasty stuff on offer (muesli) or too fat (can't reach them), Time for some tough love me thinks

I have had to convert to Nuggets as Wagg stopped the Muesli and the Chudley's had lots of tiny bits in it. This is after 20 years with no problems. The main problem is the quantity people give otherwise the rabbit would eat it all up. The best way is to keep mixing a few Nuggets in with the Muesli and only feed about a tablespoon. If her rabbit is overweight it will take quite a long time for bunny to become hungry enough to start eating Pellets, possibly up to 3 months. Also veg like Cabbage is Carbohydrate so could give bun a sticky bum. Does your friend know of the risk of Flystrike?

Hi tonibun thanks for your reply :)
Oh that’s really interesting, I hadn’t thought about it taking her longer to be hungry enough to eat the pellets.

Yeah I had a feeling the cabbage might have been the root of the sticky butt maybe, mine are fine eating it but I guess everybun is different.

Thank you x

If this were my bunny I'd not worry about a conversion. As bunny is fat a hay only diet won't hurt, she can throw in a few foraged leaves for interest / low calories nutrition (or just keep the cabbage ) . A poopy butt will be down to bunny not wanting to eat cecos as there is too much tasty stuff on offer (muesli) or too fat (can't reach them), Time for some tough love me thinks

Oh ok, that’s a really good idea. I did wonder if it’s ok to go with neither and just hay.
Ahh that’s a good shout, I said to her it might be because of being tubby and having a dewlap maybe it’s hard for her to get to her butt.
Yeah i will pass that all along thank you, I think sometimes tough love is needed for the greater good, I mean the bun is only 3 so she’s going to be around years yet!

The only problem with stopping the Muesli is if bunny doesn't eat hay, she will kind of starve, and this affects the liver, so I would carry on giving her a smaller amount.

The only problem with stopping the Muesli is if bunny doesn't eat hay, she will kind of starve, and this affects the liver, so I would carry on giving her a smaller amount.

Oh ok I see. I’ll pass this all on and hopefully she can get Willow sorted. Maybe scattering a small amount would slow her from stuffing it and also give her something to do too.
Thank you

Back