• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Guess who's got a new rabbit!

Pippin'sMum

Alpha Buck
One of the vets at work, a Romanian lady, has a rabbit bought by her teenager son from P@H a few months ago. Now she (the lady) is moving 400 miles to another job, and of course can't take the rabbit as they are going into rented accommodation, so I've ended up with the bunny. She had nowhere else to turn. Bless him, I didn't want him, I don't want another one, I've just got one bonded pair left now. She bought him this morning, saying how much she loved him, how cute he is (he is) and how much it hurt her to part with him. She's sent me innumerable texts asking how I'm going to care for him, how is he, etc. All well and good you would think, but he is 8 months old, a buck, unnamed, unneutered, unvaccinated and worst of all absolutely covered in matts in his coat. He is an Angora cross with a fluffy, longish coat full of thick chunks of matted hair. His tail and lower back are just one matt. Goodness knows how I'm going to cope with it. He's quite nervous of me at the moment, so not going to push it. I think I may ask at the vets if they will shave him when I get him neutered. She said she has his paperwork (microchip) from P@H which she will leave at work for me. Am I right in thinking they give vouchers for neutering/vaccination?

He is a sweetie, I don't know what to do. She said several times 'put him in with yours, it'll be OK' I said no, they will fight! He's in a pen in the kitchen at the moment. Feel quite stressed about it TBH, might ask if the rescue will take him, but feel bad about palming him off on someone else.

One of the vets at work, a Romanian lady, has a rabbit bought by her teenager son from P@H a few months ago. Now she (the lady) is moving 400 miles to another job, and of course can't take the rabbit as they are going into rented accommodation, so I've ended up with the bunny. She had nowhere else to turn. Bless him, I didn't want him, I don't want another one, I've just got one bonded pair left now. She bought him this morning, saying how much she loved him, how cute he is (he is) and how much it hurt her to part with him. She's sent me innumerable texts asking how I'm going to care for him, how is he, etc. All well and good you would think, but he is 8 months old, a buck, unnamed, unneutered, unvaccinated and worst of all absolutely covered in matts in his coat. He is an Angora cross with a fluffy, longish coat full of thick chunks of matted hair. His tail and lower back are just one matt. Goodness knows how I'm going to cope with it. He's quite nervous of me at the moment, so not going to push it. I think I may ask at the vets if they will shave him when I get him neutered. She said she has his paperwork (microchip) from P@H which she will leave at work for me. Am I right in thinking they give vouchers for neutering/vaccination?

He is a sweetie, I don't know what to do. She said several times 'put him in with yours, it'll be OK' I said no, they will fight! He's in a pen in the kitchen at the moment. Feel quite stressed about it TBH, might ask if the rescue will take him, but feel bad about palming him off on someone else.

Pets at Home should have given the Lady the vouchers - have you asked her for them? Otherwise contact the store she bought him from and explain the situation. I think they will be sympathetic, as otherwise they would have ended up with the rabbit back and have to put him up for adoption in their store.

If you can get P@H to agree to do the neutering, yes then get his fur all dealt with. If this causes you stress then perhaps in a wee while you should look at rehoming. Does he seem in good health otherwise? Has he been eating hay? (or is it just all tangled into his fur?)

Keep him quarantined away from your other rabbits. Some info here:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/owners/frequently-asked-questions/FAQRHD

Cleaning protocol:

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/cleaning-protocol/
Think biosecurity and try to avoid any possible contamination to your own rabbits.

In a way, it might be more vital to enquire whether they can do his RHD2 (and then the novibac/myxo) vaccinations before the neuter, if only to protect your own rabbits.

Oh and lastly, you are an angel for taking him on, even if just for a bit. Goodness knows what you'll find underneath all those fur mats.

I hope this isn't all too much for you xx

Last edited:
Just to say my vet has put up some useful info on biosecurity and cleansing protocols:

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/update-rhd2-rabbits-first-case-surgery/

Cleaning protocols: cleaning is the most important aspect of preparing the environment that has housed an ill bunny. After thorough cleaning of the area to remove any residue or scale, use Ark-Klens (a benzalkonium chloride disinfectant) to routinely disinfect the housing and then periodically use Virkon (as an inorganic peroxygen compound) to kill any other viruses.

Biosecurity: use foot dips or change footwear between being inside and going outside, especially into areas frequented by wild rabbits. Quarantine any new animals coming in, feed them last, use new equipment e.g. bottles/bowls for them. Barrier nurse any suspicious cases. Try to exclude wild rabbits from the garden if at all possible, and if this is not possible, stop the practice of moving pens around the garden and even consider a double fence round the rabbit runs.

Environmental considerations: the RHD virus can survive in the environment for many months (up to 200 days in ideal conditions) but it is not yet known what that means in practice. To err on the side of caution, and until more is found out about this aspect of care, it is suggested that if you have had a confirmed case of RHD2, that you do not repopulate the living quarters for at least 200 days.

He sounds like he is going to need a lot of coat maintenance which is fine if you like that sort of thing. Poor boy. He certainly needs a knowledgeable home. Maybe once he's been shaved you can keep on top of things. Good luck whatever you decide to do. Our PAH don't give vouchers,

Oh wow, a bit unexpected then.

We have an Angora type and she was in a horrible matted dirty state when we rescued her. She had to be dematted at the vets as we wouldn't have known where to start, but they did an awesome job, she looked like a little lamb after. Luckily they didn't need to sedate her as she was calm enough.

Since then we've managed to keep on top of it mostly, but if she does get any matts then I find using scissors works best and trimmed a little all over so it's shorter and more manageable. I'm lucky that she seems to enjoy the attention of grooming or I think it would be a much harder job.

Best of luck :) x

Thank you for your replies, thanks MM for the links, it was kind of you to go to the trouble, I know you're not having an easy time ATM.

Bit of an update - I went to help out at the rescue this morning and the lady who runs it said to take him to her vet to get him neutered/vaccinated (VHD2)/ completely clipped. She arranged it there and then with them, he goes on Monday. I'm having him back to get him through post-op then she will have him in when she's got room. She's had a run of bunnies going out to new homes, so he may take up residence at the end of the week. He's quite sweet but as wild as the wind, unhandled despite my Romanian friend saying he was 'tame'. He's very energetic, whizzing about all over the place. He's eating well, munching the hay I've put in, and all his veg is disappearing rapidly.

His coat is truly awful, so many thick matts and knots all the way through, he must be so uncomfortable. The lady who does all the grooming for the rescue said not to try to remove any for fear of tearing his skin. Poor little lad, I wonder what would have happened if he'd stayed with his original owner. We've decided to call him Beau, as we are on a French theme at the moment for new bunnies coming in.

Thank you for your replies, thanks MM for the links, it was kind of you to go to the trouble, I know you're not having an easy time ATM.

Bit of an update - I went to help out at the rescue this morning and the lady who runs it said to take him to her vet to get him neutered/vaccinated (VHD2)/ completely clipped. She arranged it there and then with them, he goes on Monday. I'm having him back to get him through post-op then she will have him in when she's got room. She's had a run of bunnies going out to new homes, so he may take up residence at the end of the week. He's quite sweet but as wild as the wind, unhandled despite my Romanian friend saying he was 'tame'. He's very energetic, whizzing about all over the place. He's eating well, munching the hay I've put in, and all his veg is disappearing rapidly.

His coat is truly awful, so many thick matts and knots all the way through, he must be so uncomfortable. The lady who does all the grooming for the rescue said not to try to remove any for fear of tearing his skin. Poor little lad, I wonder what would have happened if he'd stayed with his original owner. We've decided to call him Beau, as we are on a French theme at the moment for new bunnies coming in.

You're very welcome P :)

I am so glad there looks to be a swift solution to this - that's quite an amazing achievement.
Will you keep him as a house bun until he's sorted?

Back