Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rabbits not eating their cecotropes

Hi Tonibun. All went well with the spay and the girls were together for two weeks after that in a small penned off area in the shed. All good. I thought the girls were bonded. A couple of days ago the vet said they were all good to put together. So I popped all four in the kitchen and they got on great like they’d never been apart. I washed down the shed and moved furniture around and they all went in the shed together after about 8 hours in the kitchen with no problems. I monitored them until midnight in the shed and all great. Everything has been really good but today one of the girls went for the other girl and they were chasing in a circle. They ended up on their sides and I separated them but there was fur everywhere and the girl who started it had a huge tuft of hair in her mouth. No actual bite marks or broken skin - I have fully checked!
    Since then I have been watching them and the dominant girl has chased the other one twice but the other one has just run away and it’s fizzled out.
    What do you think I should do? They’ve been together now since birth (4.5 months), never separated and always got on great. They are both fine with the other boys. Right now they are eating together. Should I separate them???

And also - thank you so much for your help - I really appreciate it!

Update: they are both in their house together now and one girl is grooming the dominant one. Maybe just a tiff? Not sure what would have happened if I hadn’t been here when they were fighting earlier though!

Wise Old Thumper

I really don't know what might have triggered them to fall out. Perhaps the dominant one was just reasserting her dominance. Quite often sisters behave this way, ie one chases the other, but it doesn't usually involve fighting. Hopefully the submissive one will get out of her way if she starts chasing her. Have you got a bunny cam in the shed so you can check on them? A lot of forum members have them. Hope they all behave themselves, although that is asking a lot of bunnies!

Hi Tonibun. There was more chasing yesterday evening and I didn’t want to risk leaving them unsupervised so I put a divider in the shed to keep them apart with a boy each on either side. What do I do now? Should I bring them to a neutral territory and start bonding them again? Just the girls or all four? The problem is that on neutral territory they are fine. I wondered about making the shed space smaller for a bit as they do have a lot of space. Another idea I had was to try and pair up the dominant girl with one of the boys. I have noticed that the more submissive girl bun will sleep with one of the boy buns and the other two sleep apart and separately. Maybe I should take them for a car ride to try and get them to pair up? I am totally out of my depth here and my husband is starting to lose patience with me! 😱

Wise Old Thumper

Is it possible for you to have 2 set-ups? I have mine in pairs which works very well, the downside is they don't have as much space. But at least they are happy. It wasn't at food time she started to chase?