• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

sunshines... antics

Hi everyone,
I have recently got my rescue bun Sunshine spayed (1week and 5 days ago). Today, she was on a pile of blankets on my knee getting some lovely nose rubs and then ... she started humping me and biting the pillows. Am I the non dominant bun-friend? Does anyone know if this is a hormonal change due to spaying, will it stop?

Also she would rather starve than eat hay. I'm giving her half a cup of pellets (she is 2.5 kg). Throughout the day I notice no decline in her piles of hay, and the next morning she goes crazy thumping and waiting for her pellets.

any advice please ? :oops:

Hi everyone,
I have recently got my rescue bun Sunshine spayed (1week and 5 days ago). Today, she was on a pile of blankets on my knee getting some lovely nose rubs and then ... she started humping me and biting the pillows. Am I the non dominant bun-friend? Does anyone know if this is a hormonal change due to spaying, will it stop?

Also she would rather starve than eat hay. I'm giving her half a cup of pellets (she is 2.5 kg). Throughout the day I notice no decline in her piles of hay, and the next morning she goes crazy thumping and waiting for her pellets.

Hi, this sounds hormonal to me and should resolve itself in a few weeks' time. It's early days yet.

How old is Sunshine? If she's an adult then I would gradually reduce the amount of pellets that you are feeding her, which might encourage her to eat some hay. You could also try giving her freshly cut grass and forage, such as Bramble leaves, Dandelions and Plantain. If you have access to rabbit safe trees, such as Apple, Pear, Hawthorn, Hazel or Willow, you could also try her with some twigs with young leaves on. You could also try a different type of hay, as some rabbits are quite fussy about the hay that they eat.

Hi everyone,

Hi Rachel :wave:

I think you've already been cutting down Sunshine's pellets?

See some rabbits can't eat hay however much they want to ... it's the state of their teeth. Has Sunshine had her vaccinations? You could get the vet to check her teeth at that point if she hasn't. Then you'll have an idea of what's going on ... (Sorry if you've already done this :))

Some info on diet here:

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/components-rabbit-diet.asp
(This site belongs to the owner of this Forum and contains loads of good info)

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...heets/recommended-diet-for-adult-rabbits/view

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Food/feeding_en.pdf

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-diet/
(worth having a browse around this site too!)

32130293_10212554612404304_9051639633540022272_n.jpg

yes im trying to cut them down but when shes hungry and had her veggies i give in and give her more. she is around 3 and fully vaccinated. i got a full health check at the vets but she didnt check her teeth. ive attached a cute pic of her yawning if this helps ?
thanks so much for all of the info and advice, cant wait to read :)

thanks so much! she loves a good apple branch, so i will definitely try some with young leaves. Sunshine is around 3 years old. i also give grass and dandelions but too much makes her poop less solid, no matter how gradually i introduce it. her last owner only ever fed her pellets. ill try alfalfa hay as i am currently using timothy.
thanks so much for the advice!

I just wanted to say that's a fab picture! :lol: It's the back teeth that can cause problems at times,vets use an an otoscope,but this doesn't see them all.Usually bun needs sedated for a proper teeth check.

If Sunshine is overweight it could take up to 3 months before she feels the need to eat hay so do keep on persevering and don't give in when she is telling you she is hungry, because she isn't!. A bit like a child wanting sweets all the time! Cut her pellets down until you are giving her about 1 tblspoon per day. The other bonus when they eat lots of hay is it keeps them occupied and it is the natural thing to do as they are grazing animals.

Back