Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Rabbit teeth filed but still not eating

I am going for a post op check up tonight and I will definitely request injectable penacillin, I have done a little bit of homework on it over the weekend The wound is looking really good and healthy at the moment and he is eating a little on his own although he doesn't appear to be ready for pellets yet. My husband and I are on a rota at the moment to feed him and wash the wound every 6 hours.

My main concern is that his eye is still really bulging and inflamed and I am really worried that there is another abbess/more pus behind the eye

Will update after the vet

Quote Originally Posted by MrsBun View Post
    I am going for a post op check up tonight and I will definitely request injectable penacillin, I have done a little bit of homework on it over the weekend The wound is looking really good and healthy at the moment and he is eating a little on his own although he doesn't appear to be ready for pellets yet. My husband and I are on a rota at the moment to feed him and wash the wound every 6 hours.

My main concern is that his eye is still really bulging and inflamed and I am really worried that there is another abbess/more pus behind the eye

Will update after the vet

Good luck for tonight

There will be residual swelling, but if you can get him onto injectable penicillin then you're doing the very best to prevent this from recurring. The last thing you want for the poor wee mite is another operation.

Pellets are an up and down crunchy motion, so could aggravate any pain within the eye socket.

Is he still on Metacam?
    Up to date and comprehensive info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...16-Sept/page14
    An extensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Good luck for tonight

There will be residual swelling, but if you can get him onto injectable penicillin then you're doing the very best to prevent this from recurring. The last thing you want for the poor wee mite is another operation.

Pellets are an up and down crunchy motion, so could aggravate any pain within the eye socket.

Is he still on Metacam?
    Thanks He is on 0.5 ml once daily.

Thanks He is on 0.5 ml once daily.

That's good

I am always here to support you.
    I have had to deal with more rabbit abscesses than I would wish so please don't hesitate to PM xx

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    That's good

I am always here to support you.
    I have had to deal with more rabbit abscesses than I would wish so please don't hesitate to PM xx
    Aww thanks

I have injectable penicillin! We have an appointment every day so that they can inject. She was suprised how well the wound looked and was just worried as his eye was very dry, it is still quite swollen and has a film over it. She has given us isotal eye drops for this which will hopefully help.

I have injectable penicillin! We have an appointment every day so that they can inject. She was suprised how well the wound looked and was just worried as his eye was very dry, it is still quite swollen and has a film over it. She has given us isotal eye drops for this which will hopefully help.

I'm glad to hear it! But what an ordeal you having to go in every day to get it injected.

Mostly a vet will give us a bottle and some needles and syringes and we do it ourselves. Mainly because it needs to go on for quite a while. But still, this is wonderful progress, well done you!

Did you have to work hard to convince?

Wise Old Thumper

I am so glad the Vet agreed to the P and hope it helps him recover much quicker.

That's great news, really hope you see a difference soon xx
    [IMG][/IMG]

Mama Doe

I'm glad you got the penicillin.

Your vet / nurses should be able to show you how to do the injections yourself at home, which will be much less stressful and time consuming. Can you ask them to let you do i under supervision on your next few appointments, then just do it yourself?

The vet could either provide you with a full bottle which you draw up into syringes yourself, or they could give you pre-loaded syringes for maybe a week at a time. If you get a bottle, the syringes and needles are much cheaper if you buy them yourself online.