Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rabbit teeth filed but still not eating

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    Its difficult & I understand your concerns about GA but if that is the only way to diagnose & therefore treat him I don't know if there are any other options. I would ramp up the syringe feeding as much as possible - have you tried adding pure fruit baby food to his recovery mix (eg Ellas kitchen) which can make it more palatable?
    I will try this, I feel like a bit of sweet stuff my entice him. The critical feed must taste bad as Debbie, my other one won't touch it and there are very few things she wont (at least try) to eat!

Warren Veteran

You're not being a fusser. I'd personally hang fire on gut motility meds until speaking (again) with your vet. One of my bunnies hates recovery mix but likes ellas kitchen mixed with nuggets that have been mashed with water. If no baby food to hand you could try peeling than blending pear or similar, whatever mushes well & he likes

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    You're not being a fusser. I'd personally hang fire on gut motility meds until speaking (again) with your vet. One of my bunnies hates recovery mix but likes ellas kitchen mixed with nuggets that have been mashed with water. If no baby food to hand you could try peeling than blending pear or similar, whatever mushes well & he likes
    Okay thanks so much everyone, its really helpful to get everyone's advice on this . I will update after the x rays tomorrow. Fingers crossed for the little Mister!

Wise Old Thumper

I don't think that you're a fusser either. It is clear that there is still something not quite right with your boy and you are just being caring and concerned about this.

As others have said, try to determine what is new since the dental op and go armed with that information. The x-ray may also shed some light on the lump, which may or may not be relevant.

I can completely understand your worry about another GA so soon, but in this case I think you should go ahead. Hopefully there will be some answers, which will indicate how to treat his symptoms.

Sending him lots of vibes.
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

Hello Alfie went in this morning for an x ray. I've just called the vet and they said that there is no evidence of broken bones or fractures on the x ray and that he had a lot of swollen tissue around the lower jaw and behind the eye. This was found to be an abscess which they have now removed (they said that he looks gruesome as but would feel a lot better now so I really don't mind!). He is coming around from the aesthetic now and she said that at this stage it is 50/50 depending on whether the abscess regrows or not as it was close to the bone.

Any suggestions for how I can give him the best care at home? I am hopeful that it will not grow back and he will make a complete recovery

Quote Originally Posted by MrsBun View Post
    Hello Alfie went in this morning for an x ray. I've just called the vet and they said that there is no evidence of broken bones or fractures on the x ray and that he had a lot of swollen tissue around the lower jaw and behind the eye. This was found to be an abscess which they have now removed (they said that he looks gruesome as but would feel a lot better now so I really don't mind!). He is coming around from the aesthetic now and she said that at this stage it is 50/50 depending on whether the abscess regrows or not as it was close to the bone.

Any suggestions for how I can give him the best care at home? I am hopeful that it will not grow back and he will make a complete recovery

Oh dear I am so sorry to hear this, but glad you've now had a solution and some answers

I hope he will be coming home with some Metacam for pain and swelling, and also some antibiotics. Useful for rabbits abscesses is injectable penicillin. But it has to be given over a period of time to be effective. I hope your vet will discuss ongoing treatment with you

It's this kind of thing ...
    https://www.viovet.co.uk/Depocillin/c984/

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...lin-Injections

http://www.rabbit.org/health/antibiotics.html

Lots of soft food, pouches of organic baby food to mix with mashed pellets or recovery stuff to syringe are also essential.
    And lots of TLC xx

I do sympathise as my own bunny had a serious op 10 days ago, following on from two further ops over the last couple of months. Getting them up and about and eating again is paramount, as you know
    Please vaccinate your rabbits for RHD2 as well ..
    Two more house rabbit deaths just confirmed

Reliable, up to date advice on RHD2: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...40#post7012340

Wise Old Thumper

Oh gosh, poor boy What a good job you took him back though.

I had a rabbit, who had a cheek abscess removed surgically and she was given injectable Penicillin for a few weeks afterwards and the abscess did not recur.

Sending lots of vibes for your boy and I hope he recovers well.
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

Sending lots of vibes for him, at least they have found the cause of it.

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Warren Veteran

Oh bless him. A good outcome though in that you know the cause. I hope he recovers well.

Thanks everyone I will ask about injectable penicillin when I go to pick him up tonight. He is going to be on metacam, an anti inflammatory and he is to continue on the Baytrill. I will ask the vet tonight if I should put him on a gut stimulant when he gets home to make sure he does not get GI which he seems to have a tendency for after GA.

I will also get some baby food and give him lots of fuss over the weekend, he deserves it