Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rabbit teeth filed but still not eating

Mama Doe

Is there a chance that the jaw was damaged / dislocated / overstretched etc when they did the op? The mouth is held open by a metal frame so they can get to the teeth. This issue all seems to have been post-op, plus the inability to yawn seems to tie up with this. I would get someone else to examine his jaw properly and check that the joint is OK.

If he is having problems chewing, moistened food would be easier to eat. Maintaining his weight is good, though. Hopefully it will resolve and heal over time.

Do you think it would be a good idea for me to get an X ray of the jaw done?

Wise Old Thumper

How old is your bunny? Hoping he will start to eat normally soon.

Warren Veteran

I think back to the vet - maybe seek a second opinion within or at another practice. Shimmers thinking makes sense. Are you syringe feeding at the moment?

Tonibun- he is 3yrs

Mama Doe

Quote Originally Posted by MrsBun View Post
    Do you think it would be a good idea for me to get an X ray of the jaw done?
    I would ask your vet to re-examine the jaw, maybe ask a different vet as well for a second opinion to see if they spot anything different. An x-ray may be suggested - but I would be reluctant to put a poorly rabbit through sedation so soon after a GA unless it was urgent. Tell the vet what you have told us, and point out which problems have only been there since the dental op.

I will call the vet today and try and get a second opinion thanks for the advice guys He is mostly being syringe fed with a little crushed up museli mix in the morning. He will not eat any pellets with water or the critical care by himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    I would ask your vet to re-examine the jaw, maybe ask a different vet as well for a second opinion to see if they spot anything different. An x-ray may be suggested - but I would be reluctant to put a poorly rabbit through sedation so soon after a GA unless it was urgent. Tell the vet what you have told us, and point out which problems have only been there since the dental op.
    I called the vet and spoke to the vet and explained everything to her, she said that the next stage will have to be an x ray as there is nothing further they can do without this and that I can bring him in tomorrow to get this done. I asked if there was any way they could do this without anesthetic, as I know some vets can do this but she said that they would need to sedate him, which I suspected would be the case as he is wriggly.

I am supposed to bring him in tomorrow morning for the x ray to be done and pick him up in the evening but I am really worried, as you said about putting him under anesthetic again, I just don't know what to do

Warren Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by MrsBun View Post
    I called the vet and spoke to the vet and explained everything to her, she said that the next stage will have to be an x ray as there is nothing further they can do without this and that I can bring him in tomorrow to get this done. I asked if there was any way they could do this without anesthetic, as I know some vets can do this but she said that they would need to sedate him, which I suspected would be the case as he is wriggly.

I am supposed to bring him in tomorrow morning for the x ray to be done and pick him up in the evening but I am really worried, as you said about putting him under anesthetic again, I just don't know what to do
    Its difficult & I understand your concerns about GA but if that is the only way to diagnose & therefore treat him I don't know if there are any other options. I would ramp up the syringe feeding as much as possible - have you tried adding pure fruit baby food to his recovery mix (eg Ellas kitchen) which can make it more palatable?

Mama Doe

It is always worrying whenever they have an anaesthetic. If he is in for the day, he should be in good hands with plenty of nursing care to keep his food intake up. Get as much food into him today as possible (without stressing either of you) so he has a good start. Check if he needs gut stimulants, etc after if he hasn't poo'd while he is there, or you think he isn't right when he comes home. The sedation should be short just for an x-ray and anything minor if they find something that needs doing while he's under, and you should get some answers. Hope all goes well and he is eating normally again soon. You are doing a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    It is always worrying whenever they have an anaesthetic. If he is in for the day, he should be in good hands with plenty of nursing care to keep his food intake up. Get as much food into him today as possible (without stressing either of you) so he has a good start. Check if he needs gut stimulants, etc after if he hasn't poo'd while he is there, or you think he isn't right when he comes home. The sedation should be short just for an x-ray and anything minor if they find something that needs doing while he's under, and you should get some answers. Hope all goes well and he is eating normally again soon. You are doing a good job.
    Aww thanks I will make sure he has lots of food today, the critical care packet says to feed a packet a day and he has had about a third this morning so I will try and finish the packet over a few sittings tonight. I do have quite a collection of gut stimulants at home, would you say to pop one of these in before the op just to make sure his tummy keeps working throughout the day?

Sorry if im being a fusser