• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit teeth filed but still not eating

Its difficult & I understand your concerns about GA but if that is the only way to diagnose & therefore treat him I don't know if there are any other options. I would ramp up the syringe feeding as much as possible - have you tried adding pure fruit baby food to his recovery mix (eg Ellas kitchen) which can make it more palatable?

I will try this, I feel like a bit of sweet stuff my entice him. The critical feed must taste bad as Debbie, my other one won't touch it and there are very few things she wont (at least try) to eat!

You're not being a fusser. I'd personally hang fire on gut motility meds until speaking (again) with your vet. One of my bunnies hates recovery mix but likes ellas kitchen mixed with nuggets that have been mashed with water. If no baby food to hand you could try peeling than blending pear or similar, whatever mushes well & he likes

You're not being a fusser. I'd personally hang fire on gut motility meds until speaking (again) with your vet. One of my bunnies hates recovery mix but likes ellas kitchen mixed with nuggets that have been mashed with water. If no baby food to hand you could try peeling than blending pear or similar, whatever mushes well & he likes

Okay thanks so much everyone, its really helpful to get everyone's advice on this :). I will update after the x rays tomorrow. Fingers crossed for the little Mister!

I don't think that you're a fusser either. It is clear that there is still something not quite right with your boy and you are just being caring and concerned about this.

As others have said, try to determine what is new since the dental op and go armed with that information. The x-ray may also shed some light on the lump, which may or may not be relevant.

I can completely understand your worry about another GA so soon, but in this case I think you should go ahead. Hopefully there will be some answers, which will indicate how to treat his symptoms.

Sending him lots of vibes.

Hello :wave: Alfie went in this morning for an x ray. I've just called the vet and they said that there is no evidence of broken bones or fractures on the x ray and that he had a lot of swollen tissue around the lower jaw and behind the eye. This was found to be an abscess which they have now removed (they said that he looks gruesome as but would feel a lot better now so I really don't mind!). He is coming around from the aesthetic now and she said that at this stage it is 50/50 depending on whether the abscess regrows or not as it was close to the bone.

Any suggestions for how I can give him the best care at home? I am hopeful that it will not grow back and he will make a complete recovery :)

Hello :wave: Alfie went in this morning for an x ray. I've just called the vet and they said that there is no evidence of broken bones or fractures on the x ray and that he had a lot of swollen tissue around the lower jaw and behind the eye. This was found to be an abscess which they have now removed (they said that he looks gruesome as but would feel a lot better now so I really don't mind!). He is coming around from the aesthetic now and she said that at this stage it is 50/50 depending on whether the abscess regrows or not as it was close to the bone.

Any suggestions for how I can give him the best care at home? I am hopeful that it will not grow back and he will make a complete recovery :)

Oh dear I am so sorry to hear this, but glad you've now had a solution and some answers :)

I hope he will be coming home with some Metacam for pain and swelling, and also some antibiotics. Useful for rabbits abscesses is injectable penicillin. But it has to be given over a period of time to be effective. I hope your vet will discuss ongoing treatment with you :wave:

It's this kind of thing ...
https://www.viovet.co.uk/Depocillin/c984/

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?123503-Penicillin-Injections

http://www.rabbit.org/health/antibiotics.html

Lots of soft food, pouches of organic baby food to mix with mashed pellets or recovery stuff to syringe are also essential.
And lots of TLC xx

I do sympathise as my own bunny had a serious op 10 days ago, following on from two further ops over the last couple of months. Getting them up and about and eating again is paramount, as you know :)

Oh gosh, poor boy :( What a good job you took him back though.

I had a rabbit, who had a cheek abscess removed surgically and she was given injectable Penicillin for a few weeks afterwards and the abscess did not recur.

Sending lots of vibes for your boy and I hope he recovers well.

Thanks everyone :D I will ask about injectable penicillin when I go to pick him up tonight. He is going to be on metacam, an anti inflammatory and he is to continue on the Baytrill. I will ask the vet tonight if I should put him on a gut stimulant when he gets home to make sure he does not get GI which he seems to have a tendency for after GA.

I will also get some baby food and give him lots of fuss over the weekend, he deserves it :love:

Oh dear I am so sorry to hear this, but glad you've now had a solution and some answers :)

I hope he will be coming home with some Metacam for pain and swelling, and also some antibiotics. Useful for rabbits abscesses is injectable penicillin. But it has to be given over a period of time to be effective. I hope your vet will discuss ongoing treatment with you :wave:

It's this kind of thing ...
https://www.viovet.co.uk/Depocillin/c984/

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?123503-Penicillin-Injections

http://www.rabbit.org/health/antibiotics.html

Lots of soft food, pouches of organic baby food to mix with mashed pellets or recovery stuff to syringe are also essential.
And lots of TLC xx

I do sympathise as my own bunny had a serious op 10 days ago, following on from two further ops over the last couple of months. Getting them up and about and eating again is paramount, as you know :)

Aww I hope your bunny feels better soon :? Sending vibes

Only just caught up with your thread. So sorry your little bunny has had to go through this, but at least the vets have found out the cause of his problem. Sending loads of get well soon for him xxxx

Just thought I would do a little update. Alfie came round quite well from the anaesthetic this time and was lively quite quickly. He has an open wound of about 2cm diameter on his lower jaw which we are washing daily and which is protected by a buster collar. What I didn’t expect when I picked him up was how swollen his eye is. The caruncle (I think that’s what the fleshy bit in the corner is called) is bright red and protruding massively. We have an eye lubricant to administer as he cannot blink on that side.

He has had some very small nuggets and pea flakes today as well as syringed water and lots of critical feed. We went for a post op check today and they said that it is too early to tell but the wound was nice and clean and he had put on a little weight and is pooing.

He is still on metacam and Baytrill (the vet said penacillin was not licensed so they could only prescribe this if Baytrill does not work).

We have made up the spare bedroom for him and are keeping this as clean and clinical as possible with new towels on the floor every day.

I will post an update during next week, we have another appointment Tuesday :)

Last edited:
Pleased to hear that Alfie is pooing and a little on his own, every little step is a step in the right direction. Topping up the vibes for your brave little bun xxx

Just thought I would do a little update. Alfie came round quite well from the anaesthetic this time and was lively quite quickly. He has an open wound of about 2cm diameter on his lower jaw which we are washing daily and which is protected by a buster collar. What I didn’t expect when I picked him up was how swollen his eye is. The caruncle (I think that’s what the fleshy bit in the corner is called) is bright red and protruding massively. We have an eye lubricant to administer as he cannot blink on that side.

He has had some very small nuggets and pea flakes today as well as syringed water and lots of critical feed. We went for a post op check today and they said that it is too early to tell but the wound was nice and clean and he had put on a little weight and is pooing.

He is still on metacam and Baytrill (the vet said penacillin was not licensed so they could only prescribe this if Baytrill does not work).

We have made up the spare bedroom for him and are keeping this as clean and clinical as possible with new towels on the floor every day.

I will post an update during next week, we have another appointment Tuesday :)

Sending loads of vibes for Alfie :)

Regarding the Penicillin, lots of meds are not licensed for use in rabbits, but they can still be used if they are the most appropriate medication. Vets are quite a liberty to prescribe Pencillin as the first line of antibiotics.

This is the way prescribing of medicines works - it's called 'the cascade'

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-cascade-prescribing-unauthorised-medicines

Baytril has no effect on rabbit abscesses, as it cannot penetrate the tissue. Lots of research was done almost 20 years ago to discover that injectable penicillin is the drug of choice for this condition.

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Antibiotics/Safe_antibiotics.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Bacterial/Abscess/skin_abscess.htm

I've used injectable penicillin for jaw abscesses on 2 rabbits who were treated by FHB (the original expert rabbit vet).

Sending more vibes for Alfie.

I have also used injectable Penicillin on a rabbit's jaw abscess after excision. My vet was of the opinion that Baytril would not help.

Back