Thread: small lumps on 10 week old bunny's outer ear... :'(

Default small lumps on 10 week old bunny's outer ear... :'(

Hi again lovely people, and huge apologies to keep posting with desperate pleas for advice right now, but things go from strange to worse here...

I have a beautiful ten week old buck, who arrived in seemingly not such great condition (sticky eye, and a touch of walking dandruff -- both cleared up quickly/easily with Xeno and eyedrops) two weeks ago. He has had the combined vaccine for Myxi/RHD and is doing well; eating loads and generally behaving with all the curiosity and hilarious running around/climbing/binkying that one expects from a young bun.

Two days ago I noticed on one ear (he is an uppy-eared bun with huge ears) that there were a couple of 'tufty' bits of fur...
    It looked simply like he had brushed against something and then hadn't groomed the ear and flattened out the fur.

Today when I examined him as I was giving a final dose of Xeno, I realised that the fur on the ear couldn't be smoothed out; there were tiny hard lumps underneath the fur. Not crusty, and not oozing, about the size of a tiny split-pea. Hard, not squashy. I next thought it was perhaps some matted food or poop so gave it all a gentle bathing in water to try to see, and unfortunately it is definitely in/under the skin. ...if you scrape at it to investigate he is not in any sharp pain from what I can make out, and you can just about make out some redness (difficult to see under his dark fur, even on the finer ear hair).

Any ideas? His ears look clean and clear inside, he seems bright and happy; no other symptoms -- just three hard lumps that have suddenly appeared (within days) on one outer ear [two on the outer edge, one more centrally].
    ...I will be getting an emergency vets appointment asap tomorrow, but any thoughts so I know what to ask the vet to check, would be incredibly helpful on this occasion.

Thanks a million,

x x

I don't have any advice but wanted to send you some positive vibes for a good vet visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Squishies View Post
    Hi again lovely people, and huge apologies to keep posting with desperate pleas for advice right now, but things go from strange to worse here...

I have a beautiful ten week old buck, who arrived in seemingly not such great condition (sticky eye, and a touch of walking dandruff -- both cleared up quickly/easily with Xeno and eyedrops) two weeks ago. He has had the combined vaccine for Myxi/RHD and is doing well; eating loads and generally behaving with all the curiosity and hilarious running around/climbing/binkying that one expects from a young bun.

Two days ago I noticed on one ear (he is an uppy-eared bun with huge ears) that there were a couple of 'tufty' bits of fur...
    It looked simply like he had brushed against something and then hadn't groomed the ear and flattened out the fur.

Today when I examined him as I was giving a final dose of Xeno, I realised that the fur on the ear couldn't be smoothed out; there were tiny hard lumps underneath the fur. Not crusty, and not oozing, about the size of a tiny split-pea. Hard, not squashy. I next thought it was perhaps some matted food or poop so gave it all a gentle bathing in water to try to see, and unfortunately it is definitely in/under the skin. ...if you scrape at it to investigate he is not in any sharp pain from what I can make out, and you can just about make out some redness (difficult to see under his dark fur, even on the finer ear hair).

Any ideas? His ears look clean and clear inside, he seems bright and happy; no other symptoms -- just three hard lumps that have suddenly appeared (within days) on one outer ear [two on the outer edge, one more centrally].
    ...I will be getting an emergency vets appointment asap tomorrow, but any thoughts so I know what to ask the vet to check, would be incredibly helpful on this occasion.

Thanks a million,

x x
    It could be scar tissue from being over groomed/nibbled at by his Mum when he was a tiny kit. Could it be that you had just not noticed it before ? Without being able to see/feel the 'lumps' myself it's impossible to say for certain what it is but I doubt that it is anything too serious. The description of the lumps does not sound like that of Myxomatosis or anything else nasty. Good luck at the Vets.

Myxomatosis , RHD1 & RHD2 - Vaccinations are ESSENTIAL to protect your Rabbit(s)
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...rum-Moderator)

Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund (RWAF)~ Britains Biggest and Best Organisation for Everyone who Loves Rabbits
    https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Reference links for various Rabbit Health problems :
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...99#post7048099

Thank you so much for replying so quickly, both!

...good question, Jane; I also looked up and terrified myself about myxo lumps etc, but I'm 99% sure that the lumps weren't there last week -- the lumps are having quite a distinctive effect on the way the hair lies on his ear (doesn't lie flat/looks like a messy patch), and it used to sit perfectly neatly. I do so hope you're right about it being nothing too nasty; certainly he has no other symptoms so I am trying to stay positive <fingers crossed!>.