• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bladder sludge and urine infections

ANNASBUNNIES

Warren Scout
I was cleaning Gizmo eye like it do everyday and thought I would check his anus and penis for any sores he has had problems before because it smelt a bit. As I cleaned his penis as it was a bit crusty which looked like calcium build up it came out red like bloody water. Could this be bladder sludge or a urine infections? Also there is black stuff either side which I realise is his scent glands. How do I clean them?

Any help would be great.

I was cleaning Gizmo eye like it do everyday and thought I would check his anus and penis for any sores he has had problems before because it smelt a bit. As I cleaned his penis as it was a bit crusty which looked like calcium build up it came out red like bloody water. Could this be bladder sludge or a urine infections? Also there is black stuff either side which I realise is his scent glands. How do I clean them?

Any help would be great.

It may be that the 'bloody water' was just very dark urine. The colour of Rabbit urine can vary greatly and a reddy brown coloured wee often occurs as a result of plant pigments ingested in the diet. Things like dandelion leaves often lead to the Rabbit producing very dark reddish-brown coloured wee.

https://www.vetstream.com/pennardvets/html/Factsheets/Otherpets/24_290527.asp

That said, given that you mention the presence of a lot of calcium deposits and that Gizmo was rather smelly it may be that he does have a bladder infection and/or bladder sludge. Some info here :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/generalities/Sludge.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Mech_diseases/Urolithiasis.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Differentials/Blood_urine.htm

As for cleaning his scent glands :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x9dbSUdomg

I would suggest a Vet check for Gizmo, just to make sure that all is OK :)

Any help would be great.

Hi Anna and lovely to hear from you again :wave:

It could be bladder sludge or infection, but it could also be colouring of the urine through eating stuff like greens, kale and dandelions. I t can be very confusing, and either you or your vet can do a simple dipstick test to see what's going on in that respect.

Sludge in the urine is more difficult to determine and may even necessitate an X-ray to see what's going on in the bladder:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Mech_diseases/Urolithiasis.htm

I wouldn't jump to that worry straight away. Is Gizmo doing wee in inappropriate places or seems to be straining at all?

Concerning the scent glands, I use a damp cotton bud and gently clean the area. Shouldn't need doing too often, but again it can have a crusty appearance and might not be calcium you are seeing (that usually comes out in the wee!)

How are you doing in yourself these days? :D

Thank you Jack’s Jane and MightyMax

I took Gizmo to the vets today and she thinks hopefully it’s just an urine infection but did say it could be stones or a growth. He is on pain meds and antibiotics and I have to take him back on Thursday.

This morning he was definitely much happier in himself and not whimpering or straining as much.

I took Gizmo to the vets today and she thinks hopefully it’s just an urine infection but did say it could be stones or a growth. He is on pain meds and antibiotics and I have to take him back on Thursday.

This morning he was definitely much happier in himself and not whimpering or straining as much.

Good news Anna :)

Yeah, usually is just a urine infection.
Make sure the abx go on for about 10 days to cover the problem (if that's the issue!)

Should clear up easily x

I expect the analgesic has helped with the discomfort and hopefully the abx will kick in quickly to get on top of any infection. Topping up the get well vibes for him xx

I meant to ask .. did the vet do a dipstick test on a urine sample? Not easy to get one, I know :)

I meant to ask .. did the vet do a dipstick test on a urine sample? Not easy to get one, I know :)

Hi MightyMax,

She didn’t do a dipstick test but I did take in the puppy pads that Gizmo had wee on and she could see what was coming out when she was cleaning him.

His willy is definitely not looking so swollen today. Will see what the vet thinks tomorrow xx

Hi MightyMax,

She didn’t do a dipstick test but I did take in the puppy pads that Gizmo had wee on and she could see what was coming out when she was cleaning him.

His willy is definitely not looking so swollen today. Will see what the vet thinks tomorrow xx

Wishing you and Gizmo a good vet visit tomorrow, Anna.

I look forward to hearing what the news is ..... xx

Well went back to the vet today, when he was with me no blood just sludge but as soon as the vet starts pooking about it’s strarts bleeding again �� she has given him another 5 days on meds and then we will see how he gets on but she not looking hopeful and has talked about putting him to sleep. ��

Well went back to the vet today, when he was with me no blood just sludge but as soon as the vet starts pooking about it’s strarts bleeding again �� she has given him another 5 days on meds and then we will see how he gets on but she not looking hopeful and has talked about putting him to sleep. ��

I'm really sorry to hear this :(

I hope it won't come to be. Bless him :love:

So back to vets today and she is really pleased with him so still giving him antibiotics for another week the she will check him again next week xx so pleased for him

Back